The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL or University of Pennsylvania

I get accepted by UCL and University of Pennsylvania in order to study Education Studies as an Undergrad Student.

Between two universities above, which university should I attend from next September in terms of prestige and reputation?

I am an int’l student from Japan, so the answer “it depends on where you live” does not work for me.

Thank you :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
What are the costs of each, and what kind of financial aid would you receive for each? There might be a considerable difference between the two options here (I expect you would probably get more financial aid at UPenn), and well worth considering. Also what are you hoping to do after studying at uni?

Note that as far as I can tell, the UCL course is not a "teacher training" course, but rather regarding the theories and politics of learning involved in education and pedagogy, and related educational research to that. I'm not sure what the UPenn program is like though. Note also in the UK, you will pretty much only study courses from your department normally (you may be able to take one or two options outside of your department across the degree programme), whereas in the US usually you are required to take classes from other departments/faculties at your uni - so there is more potential flexibility at UPenn as a result.

In terms of general "prestige" UPenn probably beats UCL outside of the UK (and even within it for e.g. business), but that isn't necessarily going to be a major factor for certain careers (it might not matter for working as a teacher in UK state schools, for example).
(edited 2 years ago)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Even though UCL's Institute of Education is generally acknowledged to be the best education school in the world (although that really only matters to people who actually work in the education sector, your average person on the street won't know that), if it was me I'd pick UPenn just because it would be a different student experience to what I am used to and would make me stand out to British employers.

That said, an American who intended to work in the States might pick UCL for exactly the same reasons.

So what kind of student experience do you want, and in terms of graduate prospects, what uni do you think Japanese employers would find the most interesting?
Original post by Snufkin
Even though UCL's Institute of Education is generally acknowledged to be the best education school in the world (although that really only matters to people who actually work in the education sector, your average person on the street won't know that), if it was me I'd pick UPenn just because it would be a different student experience to what I am used to and would make me stand out to British employers.

That said, an American who intended to work in the States might pick UCL for exactly the same reasons.

So what kind of student experience do you want, and in terms of graduate prospects, what uni do you think Japanese employers would find the most interesting?

He clearly stated he is Japanese and from Japan.
If you can transfer to Wharton at UPenn, without a shadow of doubt take it. UCL will get tick the box for any job in the UK, but UPenn will net you high-caliber jobs in Finance, Law etc and not to mention, Ivy League status.

Congrats either way.
Original post by Anonymous
If you can transfer to Wharton at UPenn, without a shadow of doubt take it. UCL will get tick the box for any job in the UK, but UPenn will net you high-caliber jobs in Finance, Law etc and not to mention, Ivy League status.

Congrats either way.

What has finance got to do with anything he has written about?
Original post by RoyalBeams
He clearly stated he is Japanese and from Japan.

Which is why I said "which do you think Japanese employers would find the most interesting?"

Made yourself look a bit silly there, didn't ya.
Original post by RoyalBeams
What has finance got to do with anything he has written about?

What has your comment got to do with anything? I said "...finance, law" which are careers people in the real world, sometimes choose to take. I was giving an insight into Wharton at UPenn has to offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending