The Student Room Group

Revising hard for end of years in year 8... am I doing too much

As the title says, i've got end of year exams coming up. I go to a grammar school, so ig they're placing lots of stress on us to do well in these. I'm doing so much revision for it, and yet i'm doing the miniumum. I've seen people saying to just chill and enjoy year 8... am I doing too much?
No harm revising hard as long as ur not doing too much/getting stressed

It’s very unlikely that ur ‘grades’ at this point acc matter... so use this opportunity to figure out what works for u best when it comes to revision!

Do u learn best from reading or listening?
Do mind maps help more or flashcards?

Figuring out how u learn best will help u a lot when it comes to gcses/a levels :smile:
I mean I would just do as much as you like, honestly - you might feel a lot of pressure to do well but in a year you'll look back and realise these exams have no bearing on anything really. I would also say that if you ever feel like you're doing much it's probably because your revision isn't actually very effective. Anyone can do well without doing copious amounts of work because if you're smart with your revision. Don't spend lots of time making pretty notes (this is passive revision since it normally involves copying up passages from textbooks, and it can't be used again as revision afterwards) - instead find a method of active revision to help you go over things you don't know (flashcards, quizlet, mindmaps, blurting, etc etc) and obviously practice questions are a winner. Don't spend too much revising - at this point in your life it is so much more important to be happy and to make good memories than it is to get good grades on end of year tests. That said, it never hurts to be hardworking and this will help you so much in the future - putting stuff into your long term memory and mastering the best revision techniques is only going to help when it comes to your year 11 exams. Be kind to yourself, though, and make sure to take a break :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending