The Student Room Group

GB News Launch

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AW_1983
This is where the right do raise an eyebrow though, claiming they aren't venerating people but want to retain statues for heritage reasons. It's a shaky argument because the same one could have been made to keep Sir Cyril Smith's bust in Southend or Jimmy Savile's grave stone in Scarborough. I didn't see any Conservatives making the heritage argument for either of those men, so there's an inconsistency. There must be something about Rhodes and Colson that they venerate for there to be a difference.

Certainly Progress focuses on these issues. I find Momentum more concerned with the cost of living and the gig economy.

I think a distinction can be made to consider Savile live rather than historical by virtue of his victims being alive. Generally speaking though i think that issues like that come down percieved censorship (which can be bundled with other areas of life). I personally do oppose this style of censorship but i have no issue with education (so put a plaque saying - This man was celebrated for inventing/employing x but this man is also considered divisive because he did y. Then let the individual decide their view of which is most important.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by AW_1983
This is where the right do raise an eyebrow though, claiming they aren't venerating people but want to retain statues for heritage reasons.

It's a shaky argument because the same one could have been made to keep Sir Cyril Smith's bust in Southend or Jimmy Savile's grave stone in Scarborough.

I didn't see any Conservatives making the heritage argument for either of those men, so there's an inconsistency. There must be something about Rhodes and Colson that they venerate for there to be a difference.

Apple's and oranges.

You can make a defense for slavery or/and colonialism particularly during that period. Eg they brought lots of jobs and wealth to the country and at the time it was considered fine.

Whereas you can't make the same argument for what Saville did. Nobody benefitted from his crimes. Nobody thought or thinks what Saville did was acceptable today or indeed at any time.

Lastly, there is no artistic, cultural or historical arguments against removing Cyril or Saville statues whatever.
Original post by Starship Trooper
Apple's and oranges.

You can make a defense for slavery or/and colonialism particularly during that period. Eg they brought lots of jobs and wealth to the country and at the time it was considered fine.

Whereas you can't make the same argument for what Saville did. Nobody benefitted from his crimes. Nobody thought or thinks what Saville did was acceptable today or indeed at any time.

Lastly, there is no artistic, cultural or historical arguments against removing Cyril or Saville statues whatever.

So slavery was okay because it made white Britain rich? Interesting line of argument that a lot of people would disagree with then and now.
Have they fixed their tech problems yet? They've had some interesting guests on, but last time I clicked on one of their videos it sounded and looked worse than a lot of random youtubers recording in their rooms..

So their flagship show pulled in more viewers than other news channels because Brits who don't spend their time angrily shaking their fists at clouds were watching the football?

Given their support and endorsement by the establishment and the amount of free promotion they are getting in the MSM, I'm surprised they aren't drawing in more viewers.
They've started getting more lefty folk on. I've seen Harman and Yasmin Alibi on it this week (and the later is on the nuttier side of the left).
Original post by Rakas21
They've started getting more lefty folk on. I've seen Harman and Yasmin Alibi on it this week (and the later is on the nuttier side of the left).

They had Dan Wooton (right wing) with a panel of Konstantin Kisin (right wing), Andrew Doyle (right wing), Toby Young (very right right) and Dominique Sanders (Turning point UK)

Not really seeing the balance here.
Original post by DSilva
They had Dan Wooton (right wing) with a panel of Konstantin Kisin (right wing), Andrew Doyle (right wing), Toby Young (very right right) and Dominique Sanders (Turning point UK)

Wooton is the most overtly right wing to be fair. You can't draw conclusions from one segment.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
Wooton is the most overtly right wing to be fair. You can't draw conclusions from one segment.

What's he said thats even that right wing?
I see Andrew Neil has (temporarily?) quit.

Shame. I was hoping he'd interview Ben Shapiro at some point just so he could humiliate him again.
Original post by Trilobite.
I see Andrew Neil has (temporarily?) quit.

Shame. I was hoping he'd interview Ben Shapiro at some point just so he could humiliate him again.

He's off for the month. Since he partly runs the channel I guess he can pick and choose and since it's off to a good ratings start he obviously feels he doesn't need to carry it.

Yeah that was funny. Shapiro calling him left wing.

The Alex Jones one in 2012 was hilarious.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21

Forgot about the gem. I need to watch it again at some point.

Original post by Rakas21
He's off for the month. Since he partly runs the channel I guess he can pick and choose and since it's off to a good ratings start he obviously feels he doesn't need to carry it.

Yeah that was funny. Shapiro calling him left wing.

There's no one better at holding polticians feet to the fire than Neil, which is why it's such a shame he's decided to go all in with the likes of Dan Wooton.
Original post by DSilva
There's no one better at holding polticians feet to the fire than Neil, which is why it's such a shame he's decided to go all in with the likes of Dan Wooton.

Have you watched the channel. Wooton's segment aside its just a more open version of standard Politics Live/QT/morning show stuff
Original post by Rakas21
Have you watched the channel. Wooton's segment aside its just a more open version of standard Politics Live/QT/morning show stuff

Yes. He's a (very) poor man's Tucker Carlson.
What's he said thats even that right wing?

https://mobile.twitter.com/vicderbyshire/status/1408368791524937731

Umm Neil 31k views, BBC News at 10 3.5 million views.
Original post by DSilva

Andrew Doyle isn't right-wing. He's soft left like Stephen Fry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending