The Student Room Group

Gap Year

Hello,
I am in a gap year and hope to start uni next Sept 2022. In my personal statement do I need to say ...
"During my gap year I did ..."
Or can I just write it and not mention my gap year?
Original post by Unihelp43
Hello,
I am in a gap year and hope to start uni next Sept 2022. In my personal statement do I need to say ...
"During my gap year I did ..."
Or can I just write it and not mention my gap year?

I am in the same position, going to apply after autumn exams, in my personal statement I just wrote 'During my gap I have been working as .....' since I will still be on the gap year whilst applying
Reply 2
Original post by zoe.nyaku
I am in the same position, going to apply after autumn exams, in my personal statement I just wrote 'During my gap I have been working as .....' since I will still be on the gap year whilst applying

thank you! what type of things are you doing on your gap year?
Reply 3
I've just finished my gap years and made my application for 2021 entry so hope this helps a little😊

I didn't explicitly say "during my gap year...." instead, I expressed it in a way such as "through further study of..." or "what I learnt from my employment at..." this way you can give specific examples and link it to the course.
Reply 4
Original post by SLS123
I've just finished my gap years and made my application for 2021 entry so hope this helps a little😊

I didn't explicitly say "during my gap year...." instead, I expressed it in a way such as "through further study of..." or "what I learnt from my employment at..." this way you can give specific examples and link it to the course.

Amazing! Thank you. Did you do Open Learn or any types of online courses during your gap year?
Reply 5
Amazing! Thank you. Did you do Open Learn or any types of online courses during your gap year?

I did do a HNC course at my local college during my break (I finished my A levels in 2016).

But I do believe the open University have some short courses you could maybe look into?

(also I thought I recognised your username, and I think we've talked before on the Glasgow forum - so hi👋🏻)
thank you! what type of things are you doing on your gap year?

So between now and October I am just revising for my autumn exams to get the biology grade I need for next cycle applications, I am working part time at a hospital while I do that. I am going to be starting a second part time job as a waitress soon. After October, I will be working full time, half at the hospital half as a waitress, just because I get bored lol. I will be starting driving lessons, probably get a personal trainer as I love going to the gym, volunteering as well and savings loads of money for uni. Thats about it

Quick Reply

Latest