The Student Room Group

random thought about dorm security

Hey just a random thought about dorm security. So I'm going to study at UOM and started picturing my campus life and dorm life. Then I got curious about the security systems in school. Other than cameras in public areas, a thing that kind of bothers me is cameras in private areas like the dorm. On one hand I understand that it ensures our safety and prevents stealing and stuff, but I also get a little paranoid knowing that I'm constantly being filmed? I don't know, maybe the article about security camera companies doing face analysis that I read recently got in my head.
Original post by janett197855
Hey just a random thought about dorm security. So I'm going to study at UOM and started picturing my campus life and dorm life. Then I got curious about the security systems in school. Other than cameras in public areas, a thing that kind of bothers me is cameras in private areas like the dorm. On one hand I understand that it ensures our safety and prevents stealing and stuff, but I also get a little paranoid knowing that I'm constantly being filmed? I don't know, maybe the article about security camera companies doing face analysis that I read recently got in my head.
I've never seen a camera inside a halls of residence aside from in stairwells. Security is provided by a locked door with a key.

Hi! I've stayed in/visited a couple of different student halls, both private and uni owned, and I've never had any experiences with cameras placed inside the private areas (only outside the building). Campus security is important, but there are lots of ways to have this without filming students constantly.

If this is something you're worried about, I'd suggest you send an email to the accommodation people at your university to ask them if any surveillance like this is carried out. I believe they'll say it's not, but if it turns out they do record then you can always look at alternative accommodation where this won't be a problem.

Hope that's helped,
Cameron
Student Ambassador

From what I know, if the school uses normal vms, the functions aren't that good so there shouldn't be any major issues regarding your face/privacy. Only higher level vms, like milestone, briefcam, skyrec, which are equipped AI analytics function, will be able to do so. But even them I don't think they'd go out of their way and violate the GDPR.

Quick Reply

Latest