The Student Room Group

How to enter anaesthetics core training?

Im a third year medical student interested in anaesthetics. I have undertaken an SSC in cardiac anaesthesia and ICM, unfortunately due to covid this was not as exciting as it should have been!

Any tips for a medical student trying to make a more "competitive" application for anaesthetics? I plan on doing an elective in anaesthetics in canada in 2 years time. Also does ICM SSC modules count towards the Anaesthesia core training applications too?

Also, ACCS or core anaesthetics?
Reply 1
Original post by Vandanny1
Im a third year medical student interested in anaesthetics. I have undertaken an SSC in cardiac anaesthesia and ICM, unfortunately due to covid this was not as exciting as it should have been!

Any tips for a medical student trying to make a more "competitive" application for anaesthetics? I plan on doing an elective in anaesthetics in canada in 2 years time. Also does ICM SSC modules count towards the Anaesthesia core training applications too?

Also, ACCS or core anaesthetics?

Look up the scoring criteria for CT1 to see how the application process works and what things will score you points. https://anro.wm.hee.nhs.uk/how-to-apply might be a good place to start, as well as the RCOA's own site. Getting a few activities related to anaesthetics is certainly a good idea, but once you've maxed out points in that section, there's not much benefit to doing more. Intercalate if you can, doesn't have to be purely anaesthetic-related.

Once you qualify, try to get an audit done and presented on something anaesthetic/peri-op related. You can also look at what resus/emergency courses get you points, but these can be very expensive. At the moment they're using the MSRA but I don't know much about preparing for this - look into it!

As for ACCS vs core anaesthetics, if you think there's a chance you may want to do ICM/PHEM as a joint CCT, try to do ACCS - it will cover the medicine/EM requirements for the ICM programme. If you do core anaesthetics and then decide to go into ICM, you can make these competencies up later but it's more of a faff. I did core anaesthetics as I'd already done EM and medicine in F2 and didn't really want to repeat straight away. In the end I haven't done ICM so it's worked out ok. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending