The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SpaceLover29
The thing is that there will always be variants, especially considering the rest of the world exists. It is a bit pointless to be so worried about varients.

Well unfortunately, that's what will drive up infections and potentially evade current vaccines. But sure, if you are just blocking scientific advice then that's something different entirely. Lol
Original post by harrysbar
Well it’s not compulsory it’s advisory which is what I think it should be on campus also :dontknow:

I think we are essentially in agreement.
All I'm saying is that uni best be in person, especially if they are pushing for everyone to get vaccinated. I don't understand why everything needs to be online.
Original post by SBROOKS88
Well unfortunately, that's what will drive up infections and potentially evade current vaccines. But sure, if you are just blocking scientific advice then that's something different entirely. Lol

Well, unfortunately, varients are something we can't control. But sure, if you are willing to ignore science, that's something different entirely. Lol.
Well, from what most UK universities have said it will be a blended approach. Lectures online, and some face to face teaching in small groups, so if people are unhappy with that then they shouldn't go to university this year and defer full stop! Sorry guys, this is the way it has to be for now.

Original post by Cloudiii
All I'm saying is that uni best be in person, especially if they are pushing for everyone to get vaccinated. I don't understand why everything needs to be online.
Jabs should not be madatory it should be optional you can't force someone to get the jab when they don't want to. It's funny as well as this only applies to students and not staff if students are forced to be jabbed why not staff?
Well, from what most UK universities have said it will be a blended approach. Lectures online, and some face to face teaching in small groups, so if people are unhappy with that then they shouldn't go to university this year and defer full stop! Sorry guys, this is the way it has to be for now.

What about the students already at university? Do you really expect them to take a year out because some people think this is the way it "has" to be for now?
Original post by Mr T 999
Jabs should not be madatory it should be optional you can't force someone to get the jab when they don't want to. It's funny as well as this only applies to students and not staff if students are forced to be jabbed why not staff?

No one said it shouldn't be a requirement for staff too. It should be mandatory for everyone in a public indoors setting, unless you are medically exempt.

I've already deferred a year I ain't postponing my life anymore. And on about "for now" this has been going on for so long i don't even see an end.
Original post by Cloudiii
I've already deferred a year I ain't postponing my life anymore. And on about "for now" this has been going on for so long i don't even see an end.

Well everyone is fed up, you are not the only one. Unfortunately, you personally do not have control over this virus so we must just accept what has happened, and try to minimise the infections as much as possible, that is unfortunately all we can do.
Well everyone is fed up, you are not the only one. Unfortunately, you personally do not have control over this virus so we must just accept what has happened, and try to minimise the infections as much as possible, that is unfortunately all we can do.

No, we must minimise deaths as much as possible. This is clearly the focus of the government now.

Well you seem to be pretty happy defending everything thats going on. To be honest this whole situation is a mess, no one knows how to sort out anything. Look at whats going on we've opened up and oh look let's shut it down again in a couple weeks time. Autumn's around the corner and we haven't progressed anywhere lets make the students pay another 9 grand for zoom calls.
No one said it shouldn't be a requirement for staff too. It should be mandatory for everyone in a public indoors setting, unless you are medically exempt.

The UCU general secretary Jo Grady has publicly stated she does not support vaccine passports or mandatory vaccines for workers because it infringes on their rights.

From 1:00 onwards. I guess she is fine with protecting workers rights but has absolute contempt for the human rights of students.

**** the UCU.
Original post by DiddyDec
The UCU general secretary Jo Grady has publicly stated she does not support vaccine passports or mandatory vaccines for workers because it infringes on their rights.

From 1:00 onwards. I guess she is fine with protecting workers rights but has absolute contempt for the human rights of students.

**** the UCU.

Definitely. The UCU does not care about students at all.
Well guys, all we can do is wait and see what happens! It is out of our hands unfortunately, but I do agree with you all that the government has done a shambles of a job during this pandemic. But unless you guys know Boris Johnson and Gavin Williamson personally, we cannot do anything.
Well guys, all we can do is wait and see what happens! It is out of our hands unfortunately, but I do agree with you all that the government has done a shambles of a job during this pandemic. But unless you guys know Boris Johnson and Gavin Williamson personally, we cannot do anything.

So you won't be commenting on the sheer hypocrisy shown by the UCU?
I'd rather the UCU were campaigning for CO2 monitoring in university teaching and office spaces tbh (and the same for the teaching unions campaigning for it in school and college spaces). Good ventilation is going to be key to reducing the risks of universities causing mass infections and keeping staff and students safe and this is mentioned in the UCU letter.

I don't doubt that the vast majority of young people will be vaccinated soon (Pfizer supplies allowing) and universities will be encouraging mask use because it's part of their H&S risk assessments. It's a good idea for universities to be asked to provide masks to students if they want them to be worn - expecting students to pay for them is a bad idea.

Should be noted that UCU isn't demanding vaccine passports or mandatory vaccines for students - they're asking the government to make sure that all students (including those attending university in the Autumn who may be currently under 18) should be offered a full vaccine before September. https://www.ucu.org.uk/article/11684/Fully-vaccinate-students-or-face-even-worse-disruption-to-education-UCU-tells-governments

UCU calls for:
* a consistent, high-quality and appropriately funded recovery with resources made available so that plans can be made to deliver successful remote, blended and in-person learning
* governments to work with education providers and local and regional health service providers to offer full vaccinations to university students and those in adult further education before September, and then to those aged 16 and over when approved by JCVI
* education providers to provide and mandate the wearing of high-quality face masks for both staff and students whilst on-site
* government to develop guidance with education providers on measures to take in the event of rising infections
* under legal obligations, education providers to produce robust health and safety risk assessments ahead of the new academic year
* government and education providers must ensure free and easy access to PCR tests for staff and students
* education providers must identify modifications required to improve ventilation and allow for effective social distancing. Any new capital funding required should be made available by each government
* education providers must take urgent steps to improve mental health provision for students.

The only real new thing here is the request for free access to PCR testing (and not just LFTs) and an encouragement for the government to get a wiggle on with the vaccine rollout for young people
Original post by PQ
Should be noted that UCU isn't demanding vaccine passports or mandatory vaccines for students - they're asking the government to make sure that all students (including those attending university in the Autumn who may be currently under 18) should be offered a full vaccine before September. https://www.ucu.org.uk/article/11684/Fully-vaccinate-students-or-face-even-worse-disruption-to-education-UCU-tells-governments

Thank you, @PQ, for clarifying that detail that most people have missed.

It's interesting that UCU are using slightly different wording in their letters to the three governments.

UK: https://www.ucu.org.uk/media/11689/UCU-Covid-19-five-principles-letter-Westminster-govt/pdf/UCU_Covid-19_five_principles_letter_Westminster_govt.pdf

We are therefore urging you to support UCU’s calls for all university students to be offered the opportunity to be fully vaccinated before the start of the academic year, as a priority group.

Scotland: https://www.ucu.org.uk/media/11688/UCU-Covid-19-five-principles-letter-Scottish-govt/pdf/UCU_Covid-19_five_principles_letter_Scottish_govt.pdf

We are therefore urging you to support UCU’s calls for all university students to be fully vaccinated before the start of the academic year, as a priority group.

Northern Ireland: https://www.ucu.org.uk/media/11690/UCU-Covid-19-five-principles-letter-NI-govt/pdf/UCU_Covid-19_five_principles_letter_NI_govt.pdf

We are therefore urging you to support UCU’s calls for all university students to be encouraged to take up the opportunity to be fully vaccinated before the start of the academic year, as a priority group.
The gov should never be able to force anyone to put something into their body.
However universities are private organisations, no one forces you to attend that uni so if a uni decides they require all students to be vaccinated (bar those who’s doctors say they can’t due to health reasons not like the mask situation where anyone could claim exemption) then that is their policy and you can either agree and attend the uni or not agree and don’t attend. Just like you agree to a code of conduct at that uni or when you get a job you sign a contract agreeing to certain things.
But as stated above the rule should apply to staff as it does students. If a uni decides all students MUST be vaccinated then staff are no exception to the rule… if there’s a double standard then it’s unacceptable.
Original post by SpaceLover29
I highly doubt that is the UCU's aim. Throughout the entire pandemic, they have been demanding all classes to be online.

Yeah they don't want it becoming the new normal either though... cos If it does, the next thing will be the vice chancellors thinking about cutting teaching staff hours and fobbing off recycled online lectures on students for the same tuition fees.

Latest

Trending

Trending