VR: 430
DM: 400
QR: 570
AR: 570
SJT: Band 1

Total: 1970 (I wasn't fast enough)
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Any advice on how I can improve? please be gentle, I am a bit embarrassed to share my scores
It entirely depends on how far you are in your practice. Is this the first mock you’ve done? I’m assuming it is and you’ll definitely get better as you start practicing more. When is your test date? How many hours/questions have you done before you took this mock? What score are you aiming for?
Reply 3
Original post by AstonMed99
It entirely depends on how far you are in your practice. Is this the first mock you’ve done? I’m assuming it is and you’ll definitely get better as you start practicing more. When is your test date? How many hours/questions have you done before you took this mock? What score are you aiming for?

Hi, this is the first mock I did under timed conditions, but I have started my practice a few weeks ago. My test date is 26th August. Before I did the Mock, I did about 5 hours of questions (about 30 minutes everyday). I am aiming for 2400 total and SJT Band 2

:tongue:
(edited 2 years ago)
For a first practice this is a pretty good score! It’s completely different doing the test under timed conditions compared to the untimed mocks and I can guarantee you will get faster the more you practice using timed ones.

My main advice for timing would be:
1. If you’ve spent more than about 30-40 seconds on a question and aren’t close to the answer, guess, flag, and move on. This will allow you to finish up any questions you are closer on and might even give you some extra time at the end to work through the ones you’ve flagged :smile:
2. Focus on exactly what the question is asking, a lot of the time in the ucat it’s very easy to be led astray by additional information that’s been thrown in and doesn’t relate to the question at all (especially in VR :biggrin:) so try find any key words and scan the paragraph rather than read for it.
3. Take advantage of any calculator shortcuts for DM & QR, remember you’ll have a whiteboard during your test so don’t be afraid to practice writing down any notes you have during the questions, it’s far easier being able to just look down and see what you last got to than trying to remember the last number.
4. Abstract reasoning is likely the worst one for timing as you only get about 20 seconds a question and it’s incredibly difficult to spot a pattern in this time. If you haven’t already, make notes on all the patterns you’ve had in practice, keep them somewhere on your phone or in a notepad. Things like number of overlaps, symmetry, X many of Y = A many of B, number of sides etc. are quite common patterns that come up and are often repeated so it’s worth keeping a “checklist” type note of these so you can quickly run through them :smile:

Finally, just keep practicing under timed conditions! The timing takes a while to get used to, but doing 1 timed mock every second day for example will help you increase your speed and after a while you’ll be able to get the scores you want :smile:
Good luck for your actual test! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by amber0321
For a first practice this is a pretty good score! It’s completely different doing the test under timed conditions compared to the untimed mocks and I can guarantee you will get faster the more you practice using timed ones.

My main advice for timing would be:
1. If you’ve spent more than about 30-40 seconds on a question and aren’t close to the answer, guess, flag, and move on. This will allow you to finish up any questions you are closer on and might even give you some extra time at the end to work through the ones you’ve flagged :smile:
2. Focus on exactly what the question is asking, a lot of the time in the ucat it’s very easy to be led astray by additional information that’s been thrown in and doesn’t relate to the question at all (especially in VR :biggrin:) so try find any key words and scan the paragraph rather than read for it.
3. Take advantage of any calculator shortcuts for DM & QR, remember you’ll have a whiteboard during your test so don’t be afraid to practice writing down any notes you have during the questions, it’s far easier being able to just look down and see what you last got to than trying to remember the last number.
4. Abstract reasoning is likely the worst one for timing as you only get about 20 seconds a question and it’s incredibly difficult to spot a pattern in this time. If you haven’t already, make notes on all the patterns you’ve had in practice, keep them somewhere on your phone or in a notepad. Things like number of overlaps, symmetry, X many of Y = A many of B, number of sides etc. are quite common patterns that come up and are often repeated so it’s worth keeping a “checklist” type note of these so you can quickly run through them :smile:

Finally, just keep practicing under timed conditions! The timing takes a while to get used to, but doing 1 timed mock every second day for example will help you increase your speed and after a while you’ll be able to get the scores you want :smile:
Good luck for your actual test! :smile:

I love this, thank you ❤️😍
Well done on getting band 1 on your first try! Aim to get band 1 consistently.
Focus on your weakest sections which are VR and DM. For VR flag any questions with a long text and do the shorter ones first to save time. As said above read the questions first then scan the text which will save more time in the exam. Also read more to increase your reading speed.
For DM you could use your reasoning skills from maths. Think of the symbols questions like algebra in maths for example. Read the options carefully and don't infer any of the information provided.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending