The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Going to a big city uni (Manchester University) as a shy/introverted person?

I'm tempted to go to a smaller university in a small town (e.g. durham or Lancaster) but I prefer the course at Manchester University. I don't know if this (moving to Manchester) will be too much outside of my comfort zone since I have lived in a small town my whole life and I don't love partying/clubbing (as in, I enjoy them very occasionally but in general I prefer quieter plans with an intimate group of friends). I also get quite stressed out with academic stuff and my way of dealing with this is normally to spend a bit of extra time on it, which might be easier to do in a calmer environment (small town instead of big city) where it's easier to focus and there is less pressure to be going out constantly.
Should I just go to uni where I think I will be most comfortable (small town uni) or try Manchester out?
I was in the exact same situation as you last year - introverted, don't party, and like to spend a lot of time studying. I was torn between Manchester University or a university close to home, and I went for Manchester, as I preferred the course there. It was the best choice I made. It really worked for me. That said, I was very fortunate in the sense that my flatmates were very understanding, and I didn't feel pressured into doing things I didn't want to do (partying, going out when I wanted to study etc.).
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I was in the exact same situation as you last year - introverted, don't party, and like to spend a lot of time studying. I was torn between Manchester University or a university close to home, and I went for Manchester, as I preferred the course there. It was the best choice I made. It really worked for me. That said, I was very fortunate in the sense that my flatmates were very understanding, and I didn't feel pressured into doing things I didn't want to do (partying, going out when I wanted to study etc.).

That's great! May I ask if you were staying in university accommodation or private accommodation? Also, have you met many people like you at Manchester (not necessarily your flatmates, also coursemates or people you might have met through societies)?
I'm tempted to go to a smaller university in a small town (e.g. durham or Lancaster) but I prefer the course at Manchester University. I don't know if this (moving to Manchester) will be too much outside of my comfort zone since I have lived in a small town my whole life and I don't love partying/clubbing (as in, I enjoy them very occasionally but in general I prefer quieter plans with an intimate group of friends). I also get quite stressed out with academic stuff and my way of dealing with this is normally to spend a bit of extra time on it, which might be easier to do in a calmer environment (small town instead of big city) where it's easier to focus and there is less pressure to be going out constantly.
Should I just go to uni where I think I will be most comfortable (small town uni) or try Manchester out?

Hi!

This is a tricky one! On the on hand its good to push yourself out of your comfort zone, on the other you don't want to risk living in a place that is just too much.
I'm similar to you in that I'm not the biggest fan of partying/clubbing, but I choose Lancaster partly because I'm very outdoorsy and its right by the lake district.
My advise would be that if you go for Manchester (remember its important that you enjoy the course!), be super careful which accommodation you go for. Some accommodation is known as the "party" rooms, and some are known for being more quiet. Aim for that more quiet accommodation with less flat mates (e.g. don't go for a flat with 12 people, more likely to be wild). I've got a friend from Manchester Uni and she has found a more quiet way to live life, as she's is also more about the smaller/intimate group of mates.

Likewise even more "quiet" unis can definitely be a bit more loud too, but yeah somewhere like Lancaster is definitely going to be more peaceful.

You really don't want to be doing a course you hate, but also living in a place you hate sucks! The main thing is Uni is really what you make of it. Strive to find like-minded people and you will find them! Either way it will push you out of your comfort zone, which can ultimately be a good thing. Good luck with your decision :smile:

Hope this helps!
Abby, Student Ambassador
Reply 4

Hello! I’m in the same boat this year, what did you end up doing? I’m worried about quiet accommodation in Manchester haha 😅

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending