The Student Room Group

Does anyone know how to apply to an american university whilst still living in uk.

I plan to study robotics engineering or mechatronics and since its a new field, i've noticed the best places to go might be america. Can anyone provide me with useful information or instructions that can help me apply. It doesnt matter which as long as its in the top 10 in USA.
Reply 1
Original post by Kiritimine
I plan to study robotics engineering or mechatronics and since its a new field, i've noticed the best places to go might be america. Can anyone provide me with useful information or instructions that can help me apply. It doesnt matter which as long as its in the top 10 in USA.

Q1- can you afford this?
Q2 - what do you mean by top 10? I'm not sure top 10 US unis teach mechatronics at undergrad level.

UG or PG? What qualifications/experience do you have?
Reply 3
Original post by Sandtrooper
UG or PG? What qualifications/experience do you have?

Undergraduate, i'm still in college (age: 17 turning 18 in september 23rd 2021). Studying BTEC Level 3 Extended diploma in engineering and A-level maths. I have finished the first year, and im yet to recieve the results. In the future, i'll be applying for universities in 2022/2023 depending whether i want to take a gap year or not.
Reply 4
Original post by ajj2000
Q1- can you afford this?
Q2 - what do you mean by top 10? I'm not sure top 10 US unis teach mechatronics at undergrad level.

Q1 A: I was assuming they'd offer scholarships if i do a set of tasks they want me to achieve/complete.
Q2 A: Best top 10 universities that offer robotics/mechatronics or anything related to artificial intelligence in the US. Such as University of Michigan, MIT, Standford, Georgia tech, Carnegie Mellon, niversity of Minnesota and more.

Shown in this link :

https://www.grasp.upenn.edu/news/top-10-us-masters-programs-mechatronics/
Reply 5
Undergraduate, i'm still in college (age: 17 turning 18 in september 23rd 2021). Studying BTEC Level 3 Extended diploma in engineering (Equilavent to 3 a-levels) and A-level maths. I have finished the first year, and im yet to recieve the results. I have my gcse results, and they are not the best as i've got 6's in maths and science, whilst 5-4's in other subjects such as english and etc. My teachers have predicted that i will secure an A in my A-levels and distinctions (Equilavent to an A) In the future, i'll be applying for universities in 2022/2023 depending whether i want to take a gap year or not.

Updated comment.
Reply 6
Q1 A: I was assuming they'd offer scholarships if i do a set of tasks they want me to achieve/complete.
Q2 A: Best top 10 universities that offer robotics/mechatronics or anything related to artificial intelligence in the US. Such as University of Michigan, MIT, Standford, Georgia tech, Carnegie Mellon, niversity of Minnesota and more.

Shown in this link :

I think any chance of scholarships is very remote unfortunately. I’d suggest looking at British universities which offer a year in the US.
Undergraduate, i'm still in college (age: 17 turning 18 in september 23rd 2021). Studying BTEC Level 3 Extended diploma in engineering and A-level maths. I have finished the first year, and im yet to recieve the results. In the future, i'll be applying for universities in 2022/2023 depending whether i want to take a gap year or not.

Sadly I don't think you will be able to get into a top 10 US university with a BTEC.
Reply 8

Shown in this link :

just to note:

- you list of courses are masters degrees. You need an undergrad degree to apply for these.
- a number of the schools you've listed are state schools. Very unlikely to have scholarships for non US students (unlike MIT, Harvard etc). Are you are looking for full ride scholarships you need to check how much your parents earn and how much they have in assets. Owning a house in South East England could be a problem for some schemes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending