The Student Room Group

Kicked out of university

What's my chance of getting kicked out of university? The academic year 20/21 has been so terrible for me. I am someone who usually takes pride in being studious and achieving good grades - it's partly cause by covid but I've had the most horrible anxiety all year. Every single time I go start some work I just tremble in fear and am unable to do anything.

I need to pass four modules in order to progress, but I've only passed three. The university already gave me the opportunity to retake a failed exam in July and I just didn't take it, I was terrified. I'm now taking therapy, and I received a letter from uni saying I might be terminated or allowed to repeat a year. I wrote them a letter pleaing them to allow me to repeat a year.

In terms of evidence, my two earliest essays from the start of the year were good, everything else was bad. This degree means a lot to me and I'll be heartbroken if I'm kicked out.

If anyone has any experience on this matter please let me know. Thank you.
Original post by Anonymous
What's my chance of getting kicked out of university? The academic year 20/21 has been so terrible for me. I am someone who usually takes pride in being studious and achieving good grades - it's partly cause by covid but I've had the most horrible anxiety all year. Every single time I go start some work I just tremble in fear and am unable to do anything.

I need to pass four modules in order to progress, but I've only passed three. The university already gave me the opportunity to retake a failed exam in July and I just didn't take it, I was terrified. I'm now taking therapy, and I received a letter from uni saying I might be terminated or allowed to repeat a year. I wrote them a letter pleaing them to allow me to repeat a year.

In terms of evidence, my two earliest essays from the start of the year were good, everything else was bad. This degree means a lot to me and I'll be heartbroken if I'm kicked out.

If anyone has any experience on this matter please let me know. Thank you.

you might get deferred as i have failed all my modules due to all of that too and i have been deferred in all modules so i will be basically retaking my year so you should be given the opportunity to redo the module in the next year. i didn't have to say anything they made the decision themselves and if there considerate and understanding towards your situation which im sure they will be you have nothing to worry about.
Reply 2
Original post by minimee_11
you might get deferred as i have failed all my modules due to all of that too and i have been deferred in all modules so i will be basically retaking my year so you should be given the opportunity to redo the module in the next year. i didn't have to say anything they made the decision themselves and if there considerate and understanding towards your situation which im sure they will be you have nothing to worry about.

Thank you! I wrote a letter explaining everything to them fingers crossed that I'll be allowed to repeat a year as I will not know until the 20th August
Good luck, I hope you get to repeat the year.
sounds like you had a bad reaction to covid and lockdowns., I'm sorry to hear that.
The fact is that you do have to take responsibility with the state of the world and you have to learn to deal with it.
some people look for councilors, but ultimately, a councilor cant help everyone.
In the end, its the people who take responsibility and help themselves and make a clear goal who will succeed.
The human mind tries to avoid situations of fear and displeasure/.
some people (unknowingly to themselves) subconsciously program their mind that they are scared of a situation... and as a result, the mind labels the situation as something to keep away from. it seems like you have a fear when it comes to work.
Short answer: take an active role in reprogramming your mind that you ENJOY doing the work.
all you need to do is say 'aloud' to yourself something like: "I enjoy doing work... it makes me happy... and I really want to finish my course... it will make me so happy... I am so excited that I have the chance to do this course... I will be so happy when I pass it"

then sit down and work.

if you feel any negativity arise, just repeat the above phrase to yourself!

You will feel energy surge in yourself when you positively affirm yourself.

Go try it :wink:
and I wish you lots of success :smile:

* feel free to amend the phrase to suit your exact needs... but keep it similar so that you trigger your mind to accept the work as a positive thing (rather than a bad thing).
Reply 5
Original post by easybullet3
sounds like you had a bad reaction to covid and lockdowns., I'm sorry to hear that.
The fact is that you do have to take responsibility with the state of the world and you have to learn to deal with it.
some people look for councilors, but ultimately, a councilor cant help everyone.
In the end, its the people who take responsibility and help themselves and make a clear goal who will succeed.
The human mind tries to avoid situations of fear and displeasure/.
some people (unknowingly to themselves) subconsciously program their mind that they are scared of a situation... and as a result, the mind labels the situation as something to keep away from. it seems like you have a fear when it comes to work.
Short answer: take an active role in reprogramming your mind that you ENJOY doing the work.
all you need to do is say 'aloud' to yourself something like: "I enjoy doing work... it makes me happy... and I really want to finish my course... it will make me so happy... I am so excited that I have the chance to do this course... I will be so happy when I pass it"

then sit down and work.

if you feel any negativity arise, just repeat the above phrase to yourself!

You will feel energy surge in yourself when you positively affirm yourself.

Go try it :wink:
and I wish you lots of success :smile:

* feel free to amend the phrase to suit your exact needs... but keep it similar so that you trigger your mind to accept the work as a positive thing (rather than a bad thing).

Thank you so much for your response, you're right that I have fallen out of love with my work lately and I need to work on it - I used to be a person who loved studying, and yes recently I have also had an awful fear of anything hard and I need to work on that too. Thank you!
Reply 6
Just to update if anyone's interested, I am not kicked out :smile: I have to retake the modules which I failed. Thanks for everyone's support.
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you! I wrote a letter explaining everything to them fingers crossed that I'll be allowed to repeat a year as I will not know until the 20th August

If you've been having therapy you should have got a letter from them as well
Did you hear back from the uni op?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending