The Student Room Group

Sad Songs Thread

Everyone post the saddest songs you know, in any genre or language. Some songs are only sad when some context about them is known, so share that too; I'll go first:

Dream Theater - The Spirit Carries On
This is about a man who questions life after death, talking to the spirit of his past life who was murdered while very young.
Angra - Late Redemption
This one's about a man who realises the wrong he has done in his life too late, and is unable to change anything before his death.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Literally anything by Shining. Can't post their vids really because they're... kinda nasty.

Anyway, Clint Lowery from Sevendust always does really melancholy solo stuff. He has a great voice, but he's a really sad person

Reply 2
The saddest irish ballad ever written:

Original post by gjd800
Literally anything by Shining. Can't post their vids really because they're... kinda nasty.

There's a line somewhere between dramatic sadness and actual depression that I don't like to cross, so I stay away from black metal (except Xanthochroid and occasionally Havukruunu). That Irish Ballad is great though, really hits the spot.
I really like 'Break my heart again' by FINNEAS & 'Paralyzed' by NF. A lot of NF's songs are pretty sad actually, if you're into rap music I'd recommend it.
Original post by tipexmaster25
I really like 'Break my heart again' by FINNEAS & 'Paralyzed' by NF. A lot of NF's songs are pretty sad actually, if you're into rap music I'd recommend it.

"Break my heart again" was enjoyable, the dude's got a nice voice, but it feels like he isn't using all of it. I didn't like "paralyzed," I love rap music, but only when it sounds like this.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by CletusYeetus
There's a line somewhere between dramatic sadness and actual depression that I don't like to cross, so I stay away from black metal (except Xanthochroid and occasionally Havukruunu). That Irish Ballad is great though, really hits the spot.

Yes, it's not for everyone. Much of it is theatre, most of it isn't particularly depressive, but all of it is not particularly nice - I think the majority it is legitimately dark. Kvarforth is seriously mental, and imo it makes for great music but a difficult person. I find it all very cathartic
Reply 8
Truce by Twenty One Pilots has always been a really sad song for me
Reply 10
I am not much of an Alter Bridge fan but this blew me away when I had the opportunity to see them live. I saw them not long after my grandmother had died after a protracted spell of cancer, and it seemed very apt. A powerful track, I think

Phir bhi tumko chahunga- hindi
its about a man from a small village who works really hard to grow and contribute to the society. He takes the help of a girl who later on leaves him when she realises that the man is losing focus on his target and starts to fall in love with her. she leaves him so that he can focus on his dreams and prosper. she leaves a last message for him saying she has cancer which is a lie. the man is unable to get over this and goes in search of this girl.

Also almost all ARIJIT SINGH songs are very emotional and sad
Original post by Justforinfo
Phir bhi tumko chahunga- hindi
its about a man from a small village who works really hard to grow and contribute to the society. He takes the help of a girl who later on leaves him when she realises that the man is losing focus on his target and starts to fall in love with her. she leaves him so that he can focus on his dreams and prosper. she leaves a last message for him saying she has cancer which is a lie. the man is unable to get over this and goes in search of this girl.

Also almost all ARIJIT SINGH songs are very emotional and sad

I like this one a lot. dramatic story with beautiful singing and instrumentals.
If we were made of water, drowning, contaminated, weaker girl, under the table, all by Banks (kinda dramatic though)
I'm never getting over you by Gone West (not everyone's thing but loved it and it's really sad)
all love, stranger, if i hated you, if you're gonna lie, feel, all by Fletcher
dancing with your ghost by Sasha Sloan
Saturn - sleeping at last

Reminds me of someone who died and always makes me cry. :frown:
Reply 16
Original post by CletusYeetus
"Break my heart again" was enjoyable, the dude's got a nice voice, but it feels like he isn't using all of it. I didn't like "paralyzed," I love rap music, but only when it sounds like this.

haha I didn't realise you were planning on listening to them! But yeah I love Finneas' voice, not really into all of his songs but he's talented. And fair enough with NF, to each their own
I won't pretend that I've listened to a lot of MF doom, but I like what ive heard of his music!

(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest