The Student Room Group

How not to drink at uni

Id already planned on not drinking all that much at uni. I rarely if ever drink already so it wouldnt be that much of a change. But its been cemented now by the fact i was rushed to hospital last week with a fairly serious heart problem and in order to recover from this problem i cant drink for the next 3 to 6 months. I thought id be able to do this relatively easy but most of the people ive met who are going to my uni are HEAVY drinkers the type that go clubbing every single night. I know they won't be the only people i meet at uni and therell be people that don't drink as much, but still it's got me thinking it'll be hard to find people that are ok with the fact that i don't drink. It was hard enough to find friends now that don't drink all that much. So what do i do? How do i manage to not drink? Or is it not as hard as i think
Reply 1
Maybe find people who dont drink who share interests with you or maybe make sure to go places with non alcoholic beverages
Original post by Anonymous
Id already planned on not drinking all that much at uni. I rarely if ever drink already so it wouldnt be that much of a change. But its been cemented now by the fact i was rushed to hospital last week with a fairly serious heart problem and in order to recover from this problem i cant drink for the next 3 to 6 months. I thought id be able to do this relatively easy but most of the people ive met who are going to my uni are HEAVY drinkers the type that go clubbing every single night. I know they won't be the only people i meet at uni and therell be people that don't drink as much, but still it's got me thinking it'll be hard to find people that are ok with the fact that i don't drink. It was hard enough to find friends now that don't drink all that much. So what do i do? How do i manage to not drink? Or is it not as hard as i think

Hi,

Drinking is often associated with university, but this isn't always true! There are a lot of people at university don't drink, I know quite a few people who don't drink and we regularly go out together. Quite a lot of people are very understanding if people aren't drinking alcohol, so even if the people you met aren't, then I'm sure you will find similar people to yourself.

Good Luck with starting University!
Emily :smile:
RAU Student Rep
Original post by Anonymous

Hi :smile:

Sorry to hear you've been unwell, hope you feel much better soon!

As you seem to be aware of, university really is full of such a wide range of people. There'll be plenty of people who don't drink, and I'm sure that even those that do drink will still be accepting of your situation. Joining societies is a great way to meet new people and make friends. It means you can get involved with social events which probably won't have much emphasis on drinking! It might not be as hard as you think at all, keep in mind that at every uni there will be a huge portion of students that don't drink and still have a wonderful time.

Good luck, hope it goes amazingly for you!

Best wishes,
Danielle
Film and Television Studies
Reply 4
no, it's not as hard as you think. at least personally have lots of friends and most of my previous flatmates don't drink at all and it's not like i purposefully go around looking for these people. you'll be fine. just talk to people:yy:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending