The Student Room Group

A level subject choices

Hi,
Is this A level combination weird?
Im taking Math, Chemistry, Biology, Art and Design
I like all these subjects and i want to do dentistry or chemical engineering in university.
I took Art and Design cuz i wanted to take 4 A levels so my uni application stands out.
I was told that physics would be better than art but im not that good in physics and i dont enjoy it much.
Plus, I didn't take Art and Design at GCSE cuz my old school didnt offer it.
Should I continue taking Art and Design or just drop it and focus on the other 3 subjects?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by _randomperson_
Hi,
Is this A level combination weird?
Im taking Math, Chemistry, Biology, Art and Design
I like all these subjects and i want to do dentistry or chemical engineering in university.
I took Art and Design cuz i wanted to take 4 A levels so my uni application stands out.
I was told that physics would be better than art but im not that good in physics and i dont enjoy it much.
Plus, I didn't take Art and Design at GCSE cuz my old school didnt offer it.
Should I continue taking Art and Design or just drop it and focus on the other 3 subjects?

Hi, no the combination is not weird. Do what you love. Yes physics, chem, bio and maths would look great on your application but that also sounds like a lot of stress, you want to be able to have a subject that is less stressful and that is usually the case when you enjoy something. It shows that you are creative. Also you can always change your career path. I did A levels in english lit, business and geography but now I am doing computer science because i love cyber security.
i wanted to take 4 A levels so my uni application stands out.

lol I don’t think taking 4 A levels makes your uni application “stand out” at all...
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by justhere123456
Hi, no the combination is not weird. Do what you love. Yes physics, chem, bio and maths would look great on your application but that also sounds like a lot of stress, you want to be able to have a subject that is less stressful and that is usually the case when you enjoy something. It shows that you are creative. Also you can always change your career path. I did A levels in english lit, business and geography but now I am doing computer science because i love cyber security.

Okay thanks!
Original post by CaptainDuckie
lol I don’t think taking 4 A levels makes your uni application “stand out” at all...

I forgot to mention that I was going to just take bio, chem and maths but my teacher told me that taking physics with these would be better so i took that. But in the first week I wasnt good with the basics in physics so I switched it with art and design.
(edited 2 years ago)
I forgot to mention that I was going to just take bio, chem and maths but my teacher told me that taking physics with these would be better so i took that. But in the first week I wasnt good with the basics in physics so im now planning to switch it with art and design.

Taking 4 A levels doesn’t make you look good lol. As long as you meet the minimum 3 A level requirements for the university; the admissions team don’t give a toss.
4 A-levels won't make you "stand out" as far as uni admissions goes. Universities do not award "bonus points" to students taking extra A-levels - because not all schools have the facility to offer that to their students, if unis did so they would be necessarily discriminating against students going to those schools (and the schools unable to offer 4 A-levels to all students are probably underperforming ones in the first place with low progression to HE, exactly the students unis are trying to encourage to go to uni by raising their aspirations).

For dentistry physics is unnecessary, and I imagine probably not hugely relevant/useful. For chemical engineering it is much more relevant, although not always required. Bear in mind chemical engineering at uni is like 75% maths, 20% physics, and 5% chemistry or something along those lines. It's mostly maths and physics with a little bit of chemistry (and the chemistry bits largely overlap with the physics). If you struggle in physics in school you might find engineering (of any variety) challenging (although I appreciate school level physics is taught in a rather unmathematical way unlike at uni).
Original post by artful_lounger
4 A-levels won't make you "stand out" as far as uni admissions goes. Universities do not award "bonus points" to students taking extra A-levels - because not all schools have the facility to offer that to their students, if unis did so they would be necessarily discriminating against students going to those schools (and the schools unable to offer 4 A-levels to all students are probably underperforming ones in the first place with low progression to HE, exactly the students unis are trying to encourage to go to uni by raising their aspirations).

For dentistry physics is unnecessary, and I imagine probably not hugely relevant/useful. For chemical engineering it is much more relevant, although not always required. Bear in mind chemical engineering at uni is like 75% maths, 20% physics, and 5% chemistry or something along those lines. It's mostly maths and physics with a little bit of chemistry (and the chemistry bits largely overlap with the physics). If you struggle in physics in school you might find engineering (of any variety) challenging (although I appreciate school level physics is taught in a rather unmathematical way unlike at uni).

Thank you! This was very helpful
Do NOT do 4 A levels as it won't make you stand out but will hamper your A level grades. What is everyones obsession on here with doing 4 A Levels lmao.

If you're serious about the degrees mentioned then drop Art and Design.
Original post by justhere123456

I agree
Original post by LawStudent456
Do NOT do 4 A levels as it won't make you stand out but will hamper your A level grades. What is everyones obsession on here with doing 4 A Levels lmao.

If you're serious about the degrees mentioned then drop Art and Design.

Ok, so I talked to my teacher and decided i'll drop art and design and take EPQ.
Thanks for your advice.
Original post by artful_lounger

I second this, speaking from a Chem Eng perspective!
Ok, so I talked to my teacher and decided i'll drop art and design and take EPQ.
Thanks for your advice.

I’d argue that EPQ is a waste of time as well. Barley any unis reduce your offer for taking it. Only good to talk about in your PS, but there is easily something you could use in place of that.
This combo is great, provides depth and a good range of skills and knowledge :smile: I took music art maths and physics and I’ve learn valuable things for my degree from all subjects .
but there is easily something you could use in place of that.

wdym? another subject?
wdym? another subject?

No. You’re not doing 4 a levels.

I’m on about personal statement. The only benefit of doing an EPQ is to add in your PS. But you can say something else in your PS instead of writing about your EPQ easily
No. You’re not doing 4 a levels.

I’m on about personal statement. The only benefit of doing an EPQ is to add in your PS. But you can say something else in your PS instead of writing about your EPQ easily

ok. so if i just take 3 A levels (maths, chem and bio) and get good grades . its enough?
ok. so if i just take 3 A levels (maths, chem and bio) and get good grades . its enough?

yes

Yes.

Quick Reply

Latest