The Student Room Group

I don’t like the people I sit next to

Basically I’ve just started sixth form and am particularly excited to study classics. Very passionate about the subject etc.
Anyway I sit with these two people who whenever we’re given a discussion task do not participate at all and talk about anything but what we’re supposed to be discussing - now I really hate to be that person to be so uptight about doing the work but since they don’t contribute at all I always have to present the ideas I’ve come up with on my own (while they take partial credit). I’m afraid of becoming a ‘kill-joy’ if I start nagging them to actually contribute. I don’t necessarily mind being the one to speak for the group but given how much I love this subject I was really excited to have some interesting discussions and make new friends who are similarly interested in this stuff. The conversations I overhear from other groups always seem so interesting and I’d love to make friends with those people but idk how to when I don’t sit near them.

I don’t want to have to ask to move cause I don’t want the people I sit with to think I hate them; other than their lack of contribution they seem like nice people. I just really wish I could get to know the other people in my class who are are as interested as I am. How would I go about doing that? Or should I just ask to move anyway? Help.
Is the seating plan optional? If so talk to a few people before the class, keep the convo up as you go in and sit with them. If it's really bad put your education first and move. Or simply ignore them and focus on your work. Do you think it would get so bad the teacher would move one of you?
(edited 2 years ago)
Seating plan isn’t optional as far as I’m aware :frown:. I have tried arriving to class early though when there’s only a few of us there so I can try to get to know my other class mates though.
I don’t think the teacher noticed that they don’t really participate in discussions so I doubt she’d move anyone without me asking her.

Quick Reply

Latest