The Student Room Group

Do you have to mention the A level subjects in your personal statement?

My teacher advised me to link my alevel studies but is it better to mention them?
I personally didn't and I am not 100% sure where the idea that you have to came from - if you are applying for Physics, for example, surely the fact that you are taking and enjoying Physics and Maths/FM is probably self-explanatory? The uni can obviously see your subjects and predicted grades.

I would only link a subject if you actually want to and think doing so helps paint a convicing picture of why you are a good candidate and want to do the subject, such as if you want to write about an extended piece of coursework you did or something.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Wow thanks! I am much relieved now
Admissions staff know the benefits and advantages of various subjects. Don’t waste PS space talking about something that they know and that applies to every single applicant with the same academic background.

If you want to talk about your current studies the pick a specific topic or piece of work that you enjoyed and give details about what you enjoyed, how you approached it, what extra reading and research you did around the topic and what you’re looking forward to studying in more detail at university around that topic. It’s the details that make your PS personal and unique to you.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Admissions staff know the benefits and advantages of various subjects. Don’t waste PS space talking about something that they know and that applies to every single applicant with the same academic background.

If you want to talk about your current studies the pick a specific topic or piece of work that you enjoyed and give details about what you enjoyed, how you approached it, what extra reading and research you did around the topic and what you’re looking forward to studying in more detail at university around that topic. It’s the details that make your PS personal and unique to you.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending