The Student Room Group

English books

What books should i read for a level english?
I am into feminism and also racial sulture
I am in year 12 and need help
thanks
I would recommend 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' by Khaled Hosseini. It surrounds themes of being a woman in Afghanistan and also talks a bit about the political climate in the past (and up til now).

'Noughts and Crosses' by Malorie Blackman discusses racism and prejudice in a unique way.

Both are contemporary, and I think it should be easy to read at your age. Hope you enjoy!
What's on your syllabus?
Original post by jadarose
I would recommend 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' by Khaled Hosseini. It surrounds themes of being a woman in Afghanistan and also talks a bit about the political climate in the past (and up til now).

'Noughts and Crosses' by Malorie Blackman discusses racism and prejudice in a unique way.

Both are contemporary, and I think it should be easy to read at your age. Hope you enjoy!

is noughts and crosses gcse?
Anything by Angela Carter. The Passion of New Eve in particular. Virginia Woolf. Erica Jong. Handmaid’s Tale if you’ve not read the book. Written on the Body by Jeanette Winterson. Enjoy!
Original post by jadarose

Yes, 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' is amazing!
Original post by Hafsah Kalyal
What books should i read for a level english?
I am into feminism and also racial sulture
I am in year 12 and need help
thanks

'Rebecca' by Daphne du Maurier
'Their Eyes Were Watching God' by Zora Neale Hurston
Original post by ace.moorex
'Rebecca' by Daphne du Maurier
'Their Eyes Were Watching God' by Zora Neale Hurston

On the subject of both race and gender look at Tsitsi Dangarembga’s Nervous Conditions.

And Rebecca is one of the greatest novels of all time and an interesting exploration of how women see themselves in relation to men.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Hafsah Kalyal
is noughts and crosses gcse?

It is yeah - some GCSE Drama students study it however am not sure about in English Lit

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending