The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The top pin of the three, if its metal, is the earthing pin, so its not safe to use without it.
Also, modern plug sockets wont allow you to plug in anything that dosnt have an earth pin.

Replacing the plug, depends how its attached to the wire, if the wire just enters the plug, or if its sealed.
Reply 2
Well, if it's made out of plastic, it's not made to do anything, if it's metal, then you need it.

Switching a plug isn't hard, just unscrew it and put a new one on the end, simple :smile:
Reply 3
yeh, if it was just a plastic pin then it should be safe, the only reason its there so you can actually put the plug in. just jam something in the top hole as your putting the plug in and it should work.
How strong are you?!
Reply 5
Ok thanks for the tips. The pin's plastic but from what I'm reading I get the impression there needs to be something to push into "earth" socket for the circuit to close.
Reply 6
KayleeLand
How strong are you?!

Stepped on it...
KwungSun
Ok thanks for the tips. The pin's plastic but from what I'm reading I get the impression there needs to be something to push into "earth" socket for the circuit to close.

Yeah, pretty much. Out of interest...how did you break it? :confused:
Reply 8
Get a parent or someone old to replace the plug for you - they always know how to do it! :biggrin:
Reply 9
bmn
yeh, if it was just a plastic pin then it should be safe, the only reason its there so you can actually put the plug in. just jam something in the top hole as your putting the plug in and it should work.

Right, will try that. I guess I could use the broken off pin to jam in there.
Reply 10
How much do you weigh?! :p:
Reply 11
KwungSun

Push the broken one in.

Or here's a novel idea... change the plug :confused:
Reply 12
becky.fm
Get a parent or someone old to replace the plug for you - they always know how to do it! :biggrin:

My parents live in a different country and I think it might be a bit demanding to ask them to fly over just to fix a plug on a lamp.
KwungSun
Stepped on it...

Ah, so you're a heavy fella :smile:
Reply 14
Aack
How much do you weigh?! :p:

A pretty lean 155 pounds, but I think I got it at a bad angle.
Reply 15
KwungSun
A pretty lean 155 pounds, but I think I got it at a bad angle.

hehe I was only kidding :biggrin:
Reply 16
SillyFencer
Push the broken one in.

Or here's a novel idea... change the plug :confused:

If that requires equipment any more sophisticated than cellotape it's probably not an option (live in halls, don't have many tools).
it takes like 5 minutes to change the plug

there are literally hundreds of things on google explaining how to do it if you dont know how

just jamming the something in the earth isnt particulary safe, as unless you had the plug in the whole time, the live sockets would be exposed etc
KwungSun
If that requires equipment any more sophisticated than cellotape it's probably not an option (live in halls, don't have many tools).

just nick a screwdriver off someone. i guarentee you someone will have one
Reply 19
didgeridoo12uk
just nick a screwdriver off someone. i guarentee you someone will have one

Will do. I'll treat is part of my DIY training regimen.

Latest

Trending

Trending