The Student Room Group

Nursing placement

Hello to everyone, I’m 23 years making 24 next month I started my nursing degree in 2019 and was meant to finish my degree in 2022 however till to date I haven’t, in 2022 I wouldn’t graduate on time because I had to do a retrieval placement to complete my placement hours and btw I have all my theory work finished in 2022 like all other students, however my life changed dramatically. In 2023 I was able to get a retrieval placement which was great however I was pregnant and just two weeks to finally finish I had some serious complications and couldn’t finish which left me with 2195 hours out of the 2300 on my epad. I had a meeting with my uni that I could have the baby first then come back and do a whole placement of 6weeks to get my pin, at the beginning of jan I got a placement however It was too far as now I have moved out of London due to cost of living and I used to drive but sold my car as I couldn’t afford having it anymore. So the uni said to help find me one that’s more convenient however I’m just too broke can’t leave on universal credit anymore, and I can’t even get a permanent job as I don’t know when I will be back on placement, today I really had a conversation with my partner who is struggling working for the two of us plus the baby and told him I was ready to give up on the degree and just get a permanent job coz I don’t think I can even afford the six weeks child care or transport if it’s not too close.
Reply 1
Original post by Ziraili
Hello to everyone, I’m 23 years making 24 next month I started my nursing degree in 2019 and was meant to finish my degree in 2022 however till to date I haven’t, in 2022 I wouldn’t graduate on time because I had to do a retrieval placement to complete my placement hours and btw I have all my theory work finished in 2022 like all other students, however my life changed dramatically. In 2023 I was able to get a retrieval placement which was great however I was pregnant and just two weeks to finally finish I had some serious complications and couldn’t finish which left me with 2195 hours out of the 2300 on my epad. I had a meeting with my uni that I could have the baby first then come back and do a whole placement of 6weeks to get my pin, at the beginning of jan I got a placement however It was too far as now I have moved out of London due to cost of living and I used to drive but sold my car as I couldn’t afford having it anymore. So the uni said to help find me one that’s more convenient however I’m just too broke can’t leave on universal credit anymore, and I can’t even get a permanent job as I don’t know when I will be back on placement, today I really had a conversation with my partner who is struggling working for the two of us plus the baby and told him I was ready to give up on the degree and just get a permanent job coz I don’t think I can even afford the six weeks child care or transport if it’s not too close.

Are there any hardship funds you can access through your university? I think it may be worth looking into. It shouldn’t take six weeks for you to get enough hours if it’s 105 you need, at 37.5 hours a week it’s doable in just under four weeks. I would have a conversation with your uni again, explain your financial position to them, see if you can work something out. It would be a shame to drop out when you’re so close to being able to get the permanent job you need, as a registered nurse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending