The Student Room Group

University of St Andrews A101 / ScotGEM 2022 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by 2Ariadne2
Anyone else made a start on the questionnaires??

Yeah. Finding it to be a bit of a pain to juggle with my current uni deadlines so I'm dedicating today to try to finish it all off. Question 1 is fine, basically personal statement with breathing room. Other two are trickier to fill the words in for as they're fairly straightforward to answer. I guess the word limit is just a max as opposed to a "reach this limit please".
How's everyone else doing?
Reply 21
Original post by tjm0
Yeah. Finding it to be a bit of a pain to juggle with my current uni deadlines so I'm dedicating today to try to finish it all off. Question 1 is fine, basically personal statement with breathing room. Other two are trickier to fill the words in for as they're fairly straightforward to answer. I guess the word limit is just a max as opposed to a "reach this limit please".
How's everyone else doing?

Yeah same! I’ve got so much uni work to do!
I’ve done question 1 in a similar style to what you have suggested. It’s just a summary of the personal statement in a way. Making a start on question 2 and 3 today.
Does anyone know how the questionnaire is actually used in terms of selection? I know they said it will be used at interview, but was wondering if they used it to shortlist for interview along with personal statements and GAMSAT…
I looked online but I can't find much information about possible placement locations- does anyone know by any chance? Also with the GP placement in 1st year is that in St Andrew's/ very near the area most likely? Where are the rural placements located and what is the situation with accommodation- do we have to pay for it, will the uni arrange accommodation and for how long would you be on rural placement for? For the hospital rotations in the final year- what hospitals could it be in? Will I struggle if I don't drive and don't have a car? That's the bit I'm worried about- will I be able to get to placements/ around the area of placement if I don't drive-especially for rural placement?
Reply 23
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
I looked online but I can't find much information about possible placement locations- does anyone know by any chance? Also with the GP placement in 1st year is that in St Andrew's/ very near the area most likely? Where are the rural placements located and what is the situation with accommodation- do we have to pay for it, will the uni arrange accommodation and for how long would you be on rural placement for? For the hospital rotations in the final year- what hospitals could it be in? Will I struggle if I don't drive and don't have a car? That's the bit I'm worried about- will I be able to get to placements/ around the area of placement if I don't drive-especially for rural placement?

From what I've seen the placements can be from anywhere to Dumfries and Galloway to the highlands, so I'm assuming its also anywhere in-between. I saw they also mentioned the different counties that were included.

It says "Student accommodation will be provided for placements outside Fife." on their site.

It says on their site that the first year is totally in St Andrews, and the external rural placements are from 2nd year onwards so I'm assuming you are correct in thinking that the initial GP placement will be local - or at least local enough to be able to travel to pretty easily. To be honest with you I think Scotland is a place where (outside cities) driving is pretty necessary and makes things a lot easier. I feel like having to commute via bike or bus after a placement in the highlands somewhere would be a pain.

Maybe something to get in touch with the uni about directly regarding durations of placements?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by tjm0
From what I've seen the placements can be from anywhere to Dumfries and Galloway to the highlands, so I'm assuming its also anywhere in-between. I saw they also mentioned the different counties that were included.

It says "Student accommodation will be provided for placements outside Fife." on their site.

It says on their site that the first year is totally in St Andrews, and the external rural placements are from 2nd year onwards so I'm assuming you are correct in thinking that the initial GP placement will be local - or at least local enough to be able to travel to pretty easily. To be honest with you I think Scotland is a place where (outside cities) driving is pretty necessary and makes things a lot easier. I feel like having to commute via bike or bus after a placement in the highlands somewhere would be a pain.

Maybe something to get in touch with the uni about directly regarding durations of placements?

Guess it depends where they give you accommodation in rural placement, could be near the hospital or gp you're assigned so it might not be bad. But not sure. I don't drive and don't plan on learning. I don't know how rural the rural placements are infrastructure wise, never been to those areas. Still waiting on gamsat results. I'm hoping for sgul or Nottingham the most, but just incase that doesn't work out I'm hoping Swansea or St Andrew's does.
Guess it depends where they give you accommodation in rural placement, could be near the hospital or gp you're assigned so it might not be bad. But not sure. I don't drive and don't plan on learning. I don't know how rural the rural placements are infrastructure wise, never been to those areas. Still waiting on gamsat results. I'm hoping for sgul or Nottingham the most, but just incase that doesn't work out I'm hoping Swansea or St Andrew's does.

From their webpage: This is an intensive graduate programme where students are expected to study and work long terms (around 40 weeks per year). From second year onwards, components of the programme will include periods of living and studying in rural areas of the Highlands and Dumfries and Galloway. You must be prepared to live and study in this context.

I think it would be impossible to do that without a car. You would have to rely on bus/train which is sporadic at best
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Angiogram1
From their webpage: This is an intensive graduate programme where students are expected to study and work long terms (around 40 weeks per year). From second year onwards, components of the programme will include periods of living and studying in rural areas of the Highlands and Dumfries and Galloway. You must be prepared to live and study in this context.

I think it would be impossible to do that without a car. You would have to rely on bus/train which is sporadic at best

Well not everyone can get a driving licence for various reasons such as health, so think the uni will have to accommodate.
Well not everyone can get a driving licence for various reasons such as health, so think the uni will have to accommodate.

Something worth asking about I should think

In first year the GP placements are in Fife including 1 in st andrews. Not everyone drives but there's usually somebody driving from Dundee or St andrews to car share with.
In second year, the amount of time in a rural place depends on which rotation you choose. When you go to dumfries or Highlands in second year, your accommodation is in hospital accomodation and is paid for.
In third year, you get your own accomodation as you will be in the same place for a full year.
Original post by SNíChallanáin
In first year the GP placements are in Fife including 1 in st andrews. Not everyone drives but there's usually somebody driving from Dundee or St andrews to car share with.
In second year, the amount of time in a rural place depends on which rotation you choose. When you go to dumfries or Highlands in second year, your accommodation is in hospital accomodation and is paid for.
In third year, you get your own accomodation as you will be in the same place for a full year.

Amazing, that is very reassuring. What are the locations you get to pick from in 3rd year and what happens in 4th year as I know you have to do hospital rotations? In 4th year do you get to do any rotations at all in a city rather than rural? Are you a current student of scotgem btw? :smile:
Amazing, that is very reassuring. What are the locations you get to pick from in 3rd year and what happens in 4th year as I know you have to do hospital rotations? In 4th year do you get to do any rotations at all in a city rather than rural? Are you a current student of scotgem btw? :smile:

As of now, for 3rd year you submit preferences for your region (fife, Tayside, dumfries, highland), then you have a preference for urban, semi rural or rural. You get your own accommodation because you will be there for the year.
Not too sure about 4th year location/rotations but I know there is at least a block in Dundee.
Ya im in 3rd year in an urban practice for the year!
As of now, for 3rd year you submit preferences for your region (fife, Tayside, dumfries, highland), then you have a preference for urban, semi rural or rural. You get your own accommodation because you will be there for the year.
Not too sure about 4th year location/rotations but I know there is at least a block in Dundee.
Ya im in 3rd year in an urban practice for the year!

How are your finding the course? What do you like about it the most and is there anything you dislike about it? Which option is the urban option?
Reply 32
Submitted my questionnaire and it just felt so disjointing having such little space haha - anyone else?
Reply 33

I'm a first year ScotGEM and don't drive (for health reasons). The uni assured me they would accommodate. At the moment we're in a GP practice every second week and enough people drive that I get a lift from St Andrews to the practice. But even getting the bus is doable this year. There are some people who are able to drive but don't have cars as well.
Reply 34
Original post by tjm0
Submitted my questionnaire and it just felt so disjointing having such little space haha - anyone else?

Yeah I felt like I wanted to write more but I hope I was able to provide a decent summary of what I wanted to say…
How are your finding the course? What do you like about it the most and is there anything you dislike about it? Which option is the urban option?

Enjoying placement so all good!
My favourite things are its very clinical from day 1 and lots of patient contact. I find it easier to learn that way but obv thats not same for everyone. The teaching from GPs is excellent imo and in the hospitals there's lots of opportunities for practicing histories, exams, practical skills
Dislikes would probably be: cost of rent in st andrews for first year was quite high. Moving in second year is stressful but its def easier in third year being in the one place.
My favourite things are its very clinical from day 1 and lots of patient contact. I find it easier to learn that way but obv thats not same for everyone. The teaching from GPs is excellent imo and in the hospitals there's lots of opportunities for practicing histories, exams, practical skills
Dislikes would probably be: cost of rent in st andrews for first year was quite high. Moving in second year is stressful but its def easier in third year being in the one place.

Where did you move to in 2nd year

Original post by phdmed
I'm a first year ScotGEM and don't drive (for health reasons). The uni assured me they would accommodate. At the moment we're in a GP practice every second week and enough people drive that I get a lift from St Andrews to the practice. But even getting the bus is doable this year. There are some people who are able to drive but don't have cars as well.

What advice do you guys have for mmi interviews? What are they like? How do you prepare? What things should you avoid doing in interviews? Just any help with interview prep would be very appreciated.
Confused about a101 St Andrew's and fees. I have EU settled in the UK status which at Andrew's counts as a Scotland home student according to the email I got, so it will be about 1k-ish a year tuition fees. I'm confused in this case will student finance pay for it and will I get a maintenance loan or what sort of loan can I get? In 2nd year onwards do you get a NHS Bursary for St Andrew's grad entry? I'm just confused because I know if i was doing grad entry in England, for the first year you have to pay 3.8k out of your own pocket. And you can get a maintenance loan and NHS bursary in 2nd year onwards and your fees are paid for except that 3.8k in first year by the NHS. But how does the system work for scotgem??!!!? Please someone answer.
Reply 39
Hey! Does anyone know if ScotGEM used a cut off for section 3 last year (eg 55). As far as I can see it was 58 unweighted too?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending