The Student Room Group

A Levels for PPE?

I am thinking of doing Cambridge International Examinations(CIE) A levels (as I am an International Applicant) in the following subjects for PPE admission in Oxford University - Mathematics, Economics, English Language.

Is this combination good? or should I replace Eng Lang with some other subject for PPE in Oxford?
Let me know.
They're good enough but PPE is very competitive though, why don't you check the admission statistics for PPE? I heard history is a good subject choice, people from my school applying for PPE does history.

Also E stands for Education not examination.
Original post by neuralmirror
Hello, thanks for advice, I am thinking of taking Advanced Placement Exams in History so I cannot take A level in History.

Also E does stand for Examinations in CIE although E in CAIE stands for education. Check for yourself.

Oh okay.

Isn't that AP? why are you taking both? you only really need A-levels for Oxford or any UK uni and three A-levels are enough.
Original post by summerbirdreads
They're good enough but PPE is very competitive though, why don't you check the admission statistics for PPE? I heard history is a good subject choice, people from my school applying for PPE does history.

Also E stands for Education not examination.

Hello, thanks for advice, I am a private Candidate and my online school doesn't offer history. Only 4 A Levels are offered at my Online school.

Also E does stand for Examinations in CIE although E in CAIE stands for education. Check for yourself.
(edited 2 years ago)
Oh okay.

Isn't that AP? why are you taking both? you only really need A-levels for Oxford or any UK uni and three A-levels are enough.

I am going to apply to both UK and US unis
I am going to apply to both UK and US unis

A-levels are accepted everywhere! you don't need different qualifications.
Hello, thanks for advice, I am a private Candidate and my online school doesn't offer history. Only 4 A Levels are offered at my Online school.

Oh okay, you can try self-studying history maybe? also I don't think Eng Lang is a strong A-level either, well at least not for something as competitive as PPE! Eng Lit would be the better choice.
A-levels are accepted everywhere! you don't need different qualifications.

Okay, thanks.

But English Language is a good choice for PPE right?
Oh okay, you can try self-studying history maybe? also I don't think Eng Lang is a strong A-level either, well at least not for something as competitive as PPE! Eng Lit would be the better choice.

Yes, I was thinking of Eng lit too, let me see I am confused between both then again Eng is not my first language.
Yes, I was thinking of Eng lit too, let me see I am confused between both then again Eng is not my first language.

Go for Lit if you can, it is the better choice! Lit, Maths and Econ are good A-levels.
If you’re upto it, Maths, FM, History and Econ is probably the best combination.
Original post by Anonymous(
If you’re upto it, Maths, FM, History and Econ is probably the best combination.

FM?
FM?

Further Maths
Okay, thanks.

But English Language is a good choice for PPE right?

its neither here nor there
Original post by Anonymous(

FM isn't really necessary for PPE, unlike single honours economics (or E&M at Oxford). Taking it or not wouldn't really make much difference.

I am thinking of doing Cambridge International Examinations(CIE) A levels (as I am an International Applicant) in the following subjects for PPE admission in Oxford University - Mathematics, Economics, English Language.

Is this combination good? or should I replace Eng Lang with some other subject for PPE in Oxford?
Let me know.

Your subjects are fine, you'll need to do well in the TSA though and hopefully have good GCSEs/equivalent as well to be interviewed. Thereafter the interview will probably be the main factor.
Original post by artful_lounger
Your subjects are fine, you'll need to do well in the TSA though and hopefully have good GCSEs/equivalent as well to be interviewed. Thereafter the interview will probably be the main factor.

Ah sorry, got confused with E and M.
FM isn't really necessary for PPE, unlike single honours economics (or E&M at Oxford). Taking it or not wouldn't really make much difference.

Ahh! Thanks for the information and advice.

The thing is I did not do GCSEs, I did my country's National Curriculum till 10th grade and I checked on Oxford's Website, my country is listed for acceptance of National Curriculum.

and Now I am switching from National curriculum to International A Levels. I am also confused about this that will I have to give GCSEs?
Ahh! Thanks for the information and advice.

The thing is I did not do GCSEs, I did my country's National Curriculum till 10th grade and I checked on Oxford's Website, my country is listed for acceptance of National Curriculum.

and Now I am switching from National curriculum to International A Levels. I am also confused about this that will I have to give GCSEs?

You'll need to list the qualifications you did (i.e. your national curriculum and A-levels) and then they will assess that in context. They will be used to having applicants with "mixed portfolios" of qualifications.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending