The Student Room Group

Can I pay for a bachelor of computer science exam like I can with a-levels?

Hello!

To obtain an A-level in computer science, there are two options:

1. Go to college, study A-level computer science, write an A-level exam and receive an A-level in computer science.

2. Self study, pay for an A-level exam, write an A-level exam and receive an A-level in computer science.

Is this route also possible for obtaining a bachelor in computer science?
If I want to go study a Masters in computer science (not a conversion), I will need a Bachelor in computer science. Instead of paying £9000 per year to study at a University for a Bachelor, can I just pay to sit an exam like I can to sit an A-level?

If yes, what are those exams called in the UK? What should I be searching for?

Thank you kindly.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Station336
Hello!

1. Go to college, study A-level computer science, write an A-level exam and receive an A-level in computer science.

2. Self study, pay for an A-level exam, write an A-level exam and receive an A-level in computer science.

If I want to go study a Masters in computer science (not a conversion), I will need a Bachelor in computer science. Instead of paying £9000 per year to study at a University for a Bachelor, can I just pay to sit an exam like I can to sit an A-level?

Thank you kindly.

No, you can’t just pay to sit an exam to get a degree.

You can do distance learning where you are doing online/independent study but it’s not the same as just paying for and sitting an exam.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Hello!

Thank you kindly.

That's not how it works...
Hello!

Thank you kindly.

Nope. Theres so many assignments that students do within only one year of university that'd it be near impossible for you to bridge 3 years in just one sitting. My advice for you would be to pursue the conversion, you can still easily pursue careers with that degree and not be thrown straight into the deep end.
What should I be searching for?

The Open University - but there's a lot more involved than just an exam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending