The Student Room Group

Statistics

So I have a mean = 0.9, median = 1 and midrange = 6. The questions is “comment on how representative of the data each of these measurements are” can anyone explain what this means?
Reply 1
Original post by Bigflakes
So I have a mean = 0.9, median = 1 and midrange = 6. The questions is “comment on how representative of the data each of these measurements are” can anyone explain what this means?

Are there any other parts to the question?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mqb2766
Are there any other parts to the question?

There is a table with number of pets and frequency. For question 1 I had to work out the mean, median and midrange, and this is question 2
Reply 3
There is a table with number of pets and frequency. For question 1 I had to work out the mean, median and midrange, and this is question 2

It means you have to compare the calculated values with the data in the table, and discuss how representative they are. They're obviously calculating different sorts of "average number of pets".
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by mqb2766
It means you have to compare the calculated values with the data in table 1, and discuss how representative they are. They're obviously calculating different sorts of "average number of pets".

Not sure how because the values I calculated a very low compared to the table,

44 people have 0 pets
33 people have 1 pet
16 people have 2 pets
5 people have 3 pets
1 person has 4 pets
1 person has 6 pets

That’s the data in table
Reply 5
Not sure how because the values I calculated a very low compared to the table,

44 people have 0 pets
33 people have 1 pet
16 people have 2 pets
5 people have 3 pets
1 person has 4 pets
1 person has 6 pets

That’s the data in table

What do you understand about what the mean, median and midrange represent? They must represent different forms of "average value" so not sure why they'd all be too low.
Also if that is the full data check your last calculation (midrange).
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by mqb2766
What do you understand about what the mean, median and midrange represent? They must represent different forms of "average value" so not sure why they'd all be too low.
Also if that is the full data check your last calculation (midrange).

I didn’t know how to calculate it, I saw online that it is largest value add smallest value and divide by two, so I did 0 pets add 6 pets divide by 2
Reply 7
I didn’t know how to calculate it, I saw online that it is largest value add smallest value and divide by two, so I did 0 pets add 6 pets divide by 2

Which isnt 6.
Reply 8
Original post by mqb2766
Which isnt 6.

Oh yeah, just check the post, it was suppose to be 3

Quick Reply

Latest