The Student Room Group

Ask random stuff about Maths Degree!

Ask me anything, I’m a second year maths student at Uni of Nottingham
Reply 1
Hi. Please can you help me with some math? I have few questin where I stocked and do not know what to do next
Reply 2
whats your favourite course so far at uni
How many hours a week do you have class? And how many hours of private study/revision?
Original post by Cs115
whats your favourite course so far at uni

My favourite module in first year was Statistics, which is surprising since it wasnt one of my favourite parts of maths before uni! This year, my favourites are both Stats again and Intro to Scientific Computation which is basically an intro into programming in python- something I haven't touched before uni!
Original post by Bigflakes
How many hours a week do you have class? And how many hours of private study/revision?

I have around 2 hours of lectures a week per module (6 modules per semester) plus an hour or two of problem classes/worshops for each module too which are more interactive and hands on with post grads and lecturers on hand to help with practice questions etc. I then try to do an hour per module of private study, or 2 hours if I miss a problem class.
The big O or rock city, what recreational venue best compliments your studies?
Original post by mnot
The big O or rock city, what recreational venue best compliments your studies?

Big group of really good mates for a cringey time- Ocean. In general- gotta be Bodega indie Wednesdays or Rescue Rooms.
are you allowed to use a calculator ? :holmes:
Original post by the bear
are you allowed to use a calculator ? :holmes:

Different modules have different rules for whether a calculator is allowed and if so, what calculators are allowed! Over the last year, because exams have been online a calculator has been allowed (and open book) but a lot of degree level maths doesn't necessarily require a calculator as there is a lot of proof, theories and algebra based learning.
Original post by LibertyoLee99
Different modules have different rules for whether a calculator is allowed and if so, what calculators are allowed! Over the last year, because exams have been online a calculator has been allowed (and open book) but a lot of degree level maths doesn't necessarily require a calculator as there is a lot of proof, theories and algebra based learning.

do they provide tracing paper or do you bring your own ? :holmes:

I haven't been in an exam where I've needed tracing paper so I couldn't tell you!

I hear you get it for differential and algebraic geometry....
Original post by zetamcfc
I hear you get it for differential and algebraic geometry....

perhaps for topology to help with surface folding & that ?

:holmes:
I'm a final year maths student, hoping to stay on for mg masters and a PhD after, absolutely loving it

Quick Reply

Latest