The Student Room Group

Failed my degree, need advice on 2024 entry

I failed my Maths degree. But I'm desperately trying to get back onto my feet. I've decided not to go uni this year and just work as a programmer which is something I'm quite passionate about, whilst also taking some time to decide what I want to do. During this year I was thinking to redo some of my A levels simply because I have some time and after going through uni, franky A levels seem miniscule. I received AAB (Maths, Phys, Chem), which by no means is terrible but I know I could have done far better than that. I went to a really poorly performing school and so my grades during COVID reflected that.

I was wondering how universities would look at an applicant in my scenario and how I would go about applying if I'm going to self teach the content. I'm thinking of sitting Further Maths, which I have never sat before and resitting Maths to get an A*, maybe even Physics since during my time in undergrad I got a little invested into physics and I'd imagine I could pull a better grade. I imagine I can't predict my own grades, so I'm not sure what to do with my UCAS application. And I'd just like to know what I should do in order to maximize my chances of getting into the best uni that I can next year.

Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by MaleficentAd1912
I failed my Maths degree. But I'm desperately trying to get back onto my feet. I've decided not to go uni this year and just work as a programmer which is something I'm quite passionate about, whilst also taking some time to decide what I want to do. During this year I was thinking to redo some of my A levels simply because I have some time and after going through uni, franky A levels seem miniscule. I received AAB (Maths, Phys, Chem), which by no means is terrible but I know I could have done far better than that. I went to a really poorly performing school and so my grades during COVID reflected that.

I was wondering how universities would look at an applicant in my scenario and how I would go about applying if I'm going to self teach the content. I'm thinking of sitting Further Maths, which I have never sat before and resitting Maths to get an A*, maybe even Physics since during my time in undergrad I got a little invested into physics and I'd imagine I could pull a better grade. I imagine I can't predict my own grades, so I'm not sure what to do with my UCAS application. And I'd just like to know what I should do in order to maximize my chances of getting into the best uni that I can next year.

Thank you

How many years of study did you do for the degree?
Original post by Muttley79
How many years of study did you do for the degree?

I failed year 2
Reply 3
I failed year 2

So you'd not get full funding for another degree ...
Original post by Muttley79
So you'd not get full funding for another degree ...

Okay that's a bummer, but I have some money from doing random jobs online as a programmer. I'm more concerned about if my application will be less competitive as I failed uni and how I'm going to present forth the subjects that I will sit in 2024, yet teach myself.
Reply 5
Okay that's a bummer, but I have some money from doing random jobs online as a programmer. I'm more concerned about if my application will be less competitive as I failed uni and how I'm going to present forth the subjects that I will sit in 2024, yet teach myself.

You could look at a degree apprenticeship instead?

For a degree you'd need to find the first year of funding.
Reply 6
Hi - just to confirm- did you fail year 2 and resit the year this using 3 years of finance, or leave after year 2 using 2 years?
Original post by ajj2000
Hi - just to confirm- did you fail year 2 and resit the year this using 3 years of finance, or leave after year 2 using 2 years?

Only had 2 years of finance. I believe I can maybe get 2 more? Or 1 more? I'm trying to figure out how I am going to resit these exams though. After I do that, I think it's best I just contact a bunch of universities and ask around. It's a good heads up I wouldn't have seen but I'm lucky enough to where tuition isn't the biggest issue.
Ask your self why you want one? So few jobs on LinkedIn etc require one now so if you have some studies and some work experience maybe you could save yourself so much money ! It’s a massive cost after all.
Look at OU - thats your most realistic chance of completing a degree now - The Open University | Courses and Qualifications

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending