The Student Room Group

‘Softer subjects’

I’ve heard people saying things like English and sociology are all ‘softer subjects.’ Is they a myth or do universities actually care about this? Would they be less likely to accept someone who has done ‘softer subjects’ for their a level?
It would stand to reason that if you want to do English or Sociology at Uni, you would have an English/Sociology-related A-Level. I don't see where softness plays into this.
Depends what course you're applying for, no point applying for chemical engineering with english lit, drama and sociology but equally an odd decision to apply for history with maths, physics and biology
Universities won't care
Reply 4
Original post by flaurie
Depends what course you're applying for, no point applying for chemical engineering with english lit, drama and sociology but equally an odd decision to apply for history with maths, physics and biology

I think I wanna do law at university so if I did a level law, English literature and sociology would that be okay?
Original post by Onetros
I think I wanna do law at university so if I did a level law, English literature and sociology would that be okay?

Yeah.. most law courses doesn't have a set requirement, just essay subjects.
No such thing exists. It's just people's assumptions. They're pretty hard. All A-Levels are significantly harder than their GCSE equivalents.

Quick Reply

Latest