The Student Room Group

a level classical civilisation

Is it a popular A level, around how many take it?
At the sixth form college my daughter has applied for, 30 people took Class Civ in 2021.

Compare that with 193 for Maths, or 177 for Psychology, it seems a fairly small number. However if we look at Spanish (20) or French (10) it definitely seems more popular than modern foreign languages.

I think it probably doesn't get picked as often as say History, because people know what History is - they've studied it in school. GCSE Class Civ is much less widely offered in state schools, so a lot of the time students stick with subjects they already took beforehand.

From a personal anecdotal perspective, A Level Class Civ is a fascinating subject. The smaller class sizes can only be a good thing if you ask me, as you'll have more opportunity to have questions answered by the tutor, and to get assistance if you need it.
Reply 2
It's not very common - 0.6% of the A levels entries in 2021 were for 'Classical subjects (Class Civ, Latin and Greek) compared with 11.8% taking Maths and 5.6% taking History. A higher than average number of the centres offering it are private schools.

It's only offered by OCR and you can find their summary about it here: https://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-and-a-level/classical-civilisation-h008-h408-from-2017/specification-at-a-glance/

It's a good mix of History and Literature. I think it's a really good choice if you're thinking of becoming a primary school teacher because they always seem to do the Greeks and Romans for History and it also covers quite a lot of English skills when you study Roman/Greek literature and plays.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest