The Student Room Group

Moving to Scotland from New Zealand in secondary school

Hi, so I’m from Scotland but my family moved to New Zealand in 2012 when I was 7. It is a possibility of us moving back to Scotland as I’m really struggling with NCEA. I’m currently a year 12 in New Zealand and believe I would be in S5 in Scotland. Last year I took NCEA level 1 with a merit endorsement but this year I didn’t do NCEA level 2 because I was really struggling. I am wondering if I would be able to start in S5 at the start of next year in Scotland? I’m not sure if I have enough qualifications. I haven’t done N5 and I would of missed out on getting highers. Would I still be able to move on and get advanced highers in S6 and go on to university ok? It’s kinda off topic but I also want to go on student exchange to Japan at the end of next year till early 2023, would that interfere with me being able to get my qualifications and graduating? Thanks.
Original post by Rachelcookie
Hi, so I’m from Scotland but my family moved to New Zealand in 2012 when I was 7. It is a possibility of us moving back to Scotland as I’m really struggling with NCEA. I’m currently a year 12 in New Zealand and believe I would be in S5 in Scotland. Last year I took NCEA level 1 with a merit endorsement but this year I didn’t do NCEA level 2 because I was really struggling. I am wondering if I would be able to start in S5 at the start of next year in Scotland? I’m not sure if I have enough qualifications. I haven’t done N5 and I would of missed out on getting highers. Would I still be able to move on and get advanced highers in S6 and go on to university ok? It’s kinda off topic but I also want to go on student exchange to Japan at the end of next year till early 2023, would that interfere with me being able to get my qualifications and graduating? Thanks.

Hey, I’m Aliza and I live in Scotland, I’m currently in S6 (last year) x

um, well if you haven’t done any Nat 5’s or higher, it would be difficult for you to begin S5 as Nat 5’s are done in S4…

It’s not impossible to do Nat 5’s in S5 though, but then you will be 1 step behind I guess, and depending on what university course you wish to do, it may be difficult as majority courses require highers…

S5 and 6 are for higher and in S6, you are also able to do Advanced Higher if you wish…

Do you know what school you will attend when you arrive?

im unsure on how the New Zealand education system works, but I am just telling what I know from the Scottish education system.
Original post by XxAlizaxX

um, well if you haven’t done any Nat 5’s or higher, it would be difficult for you to begin S5 as Nat 5’s are done in S4…

It’s not impossible to do Nat 5’s in S5 though, but then you will be 1 step behind I guess, and depending on what university course you wish to do, it may be difficult as majority courses require highers…

S5 and 6 are for higher and in S6, you are also able to do Advanced Higher if you wish…

im unsure on how the New Zealand education system works, but I am just telling what I know from the Scottish education system.

Thank you for your reply. That complicates things then. I’m wanting to do architecture at Edinburgh university so I’ll need really good grades. We haven’t really discussed it a lot but I would probably go to Douglas Academy or Bearsden Academy as that’s the area my family live and where I used to live. How would it work doing Nat 5’s in S5? Do you have to take S4 classes?
(edited 2 years ago)
Hey! Probably a bit late to the party, but I’m from NZ originally (now living in the UK) and it would be easy enough to do NCEA levels 2 and 3 a year later than planned. Are you back in Scotland now?
Original post by IBkidinthecorner
Hey! Probably a bit late to the party, but I’m from NZ originally (now living in the UK) and it would be easy enough to do NCEA levels 2 and 3 a year later than planned. Are you back in Scotland now?

Thank you for the comment and sorry for the late reply. I’m not looking to do ncea level 2 and 3, I’m hoping to get qualifications in Scotland. My family is still in New Zealand. We are still trying to work out if going to school in Scotland is an option for me.
Thank you for the comment and sorry for the late reply. I’m not looking to do ncea level 2 and 3, I’m hoping to get qualifications in Scotland. My family is still in New Zealand. We are still trying to work out if going to school in Scotland is an option for me.

No worries and good luck with everything! I hope it all works out for you

btw, it IS possible, easily, to do N5s in s5. i di n5s in S5 and did highers in s6 instead of adv highers. im going fine, the only difference is if you NEED adv highers that would be a hassle. not sure about if your course requires it but for me ive gotten offers for uni without any adv highers just fine. :smile: so s5 is for BOTH n5 and highers - and s6 is for BOTH highers and adv highers.

wish u luck!
Original post by XxAlizaxX

i wouldnt say this is entirely true, many university courses dont have advanced highers a specific need so its very possible to do most things by taking n5 in s5 then using s6 for higher

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending