The Student Room Group

Can a 17 year old and a 30 year old mature student in the same uni be friends?

I have this classmate who is very fascinating in terms of their personality and life experiences etc. but they've just turned 30 and I'm turning 17. Can we be friends?
You are “turning 17” and at uni?

Loads of mature students at uni have friends in the 18-21 range, they will sometimes go to social events with the rest, sometimes deciding that an event isn’t quite their scene.
Part of uni is to grow up and be able to treat everyone as an adult, regardless of sexuality, age or colour.
Original post by Anonymous
I have this classmate who is very fascinating in terms of their personality and life experiences etc. but they've just turned 30 and I'm turning 17. Can we be friends?

As long as nothing inappropriate happens it should be okay

What a strange question to ask! Do you decide on whether or not you can be friends with someone based on their age? How very restrictive that must be!

Original post by I'm a student737
As long as nothing inappropriate happens it should be okay

Why? Why can't a 17-year-old be completely and utterly 'inappropriate' with a 30-year-old if that's their choice?
I think it's pretty unlikely that a 30 year old adult would be interested in one to one friendship with a 16 year old, to be honest. You might be better off getting to know them in the context of, for instance, the society for your subject.
Reply 5
I'm in an advanced placement programme.
Original post by Reality Check
Why? Why can't a 17-year-old be completely and utterly 'inappropriate' with a 30-year-old if that's their choice?

because you're a child
Reply 7
What a strange question to ask! Do you decide on whether or not you can be friends with someone based on their age? How very restrictive that must be!

Some of these responses are what I was worried about. I don't want to get the adult in trouble.
Original post by I'm a student737
because you're a child

It is perfectly legal and acceptable for a 17-year-old to have a consensual relationship with a 30-year old. I think this speaks more to your prejudices than any actual problem with the concept.

Some of these responses are what I was worried about. I don't want to get the adult in trouble.

I know, but remember that as with most of TSR, these responses are from kids who know nothing about anything. :smile:
You can be friends with a 100-year-old and be 15 years old, but you just need to be careful who you're with
I know, but remember that as with most of TSR, these responses are from kids who know nothing about anything. :smile:

You're still a kid you could get the adult in trouble
The issue lies with the bigger threat posed by those that are older. It doesn't mean that the chances of them being dangerous higher - you just have to be careful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending