The Student Room Group

Law Conversion Course - HELP!

Hey everyone! Just looking for some more advice after the changes between GDL and SQE routes!

I am a 2nd year student of forensic science and criminal investigation at uCLAN and am considering converting into Law through a masters!

I’ve been looking at ULaw and I’ve seen that they have the MA Law Conversion and the MA Law (SQE1). I believe after the completion of one of these, you need to further your education with a LLM Legal Practice? And after this we take the SQ1&2 exams? Is this correct? Can someone please explain it to me. Will student finance pay for both MA Law Conversion and the LLM Legal Practice?

Thanks 🙏🏼
Original post by claraalmeidab1
Hey everyone! Just looking for some more advice after the changes between GDL and SQE routes!

I am a 2nd year student of forensic science and criminal investigation at uCLAN and am considering converting into Law through a masters!

I’ve been looking at ULaw and I’ve seen that they have the MA Law Conversion and the MA Law (SQE1). I believe after the completion of one of these, you need to further your education with a LLM Legal Practice? And after this we take the SQ1&2 exams? Is this correct? Can someone please explain it to me. Will student finance pay for both MA Law Conversion and the LLM Legal Practice?

Thanks 🙏🏼

You can take the SQE 1 and 2 as soon as you finish uni. There is no further educational requirement. You're just not likely to pass without some foundation in law. Whether just passing the exams is heavily dependent on what type of law you want to practice.
Reply 2
I would do the LPC rather than SQE
Original post by giggy12s

They can't.
Original post by giggy12s

I believe I can only do an LPC after I complete a conversion masters. but I am not sure I'll be funded for both years (MA Law Conversion and LPC)...

Thanks 🙏🏼

Hi claraalmeidab1

You don't have to take the LLM Legal Practice- it is one choice if you haven't got a law degree or haven't done a conversion course. This map is really good at showing the different legal pathways: https://www.lawcareers.net/Courses/LegalCareerPaths

There is also a map towards the bottom of this page: https://www.law.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/sqe/ With a non-law degree, you want to follow the green lines on it and as the LPC route is not open to you (because you have not yet started a law based qualification) then you should follow the top map out of the two (SQE route).

So you can do the any course (MA Conversion or SQE preparation) then progress onto SQ1 and 2; or you can do the MA Law SQE 1 and then go onto the SQ2. The MA Law conversion route is good for those people that know they want to be a lawyer but not sure whether they want to take the barrister or solicitor route.

Hope that helps!

Nic
Student Ambassador at The University of Law
Original post by The University of Law Students
Hi claraalmeidab1

You don't have to take the LLM Legal Practice- it is one choice if you haven't got a law degree or haven't done a conversion course. This map is really good at showing the different legal pathways: https://www.lawcareers.net/Courses/LegalCareerPaths

There is also a map towards the bottom of this page: https://www.law.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/sqe/ With a non-law degree, you want to follow the green lines on it and as the LPC route is not open to you (because you have not yet started a law based qualification) then you should follow the top map out of the two (SQE route).

So you can do the any course (MA Conversion or SQE preparation) then progress onto SQ1 and 2; or you can do the MA Law SQE 1 and then go onto the SQ2. The MA Law conversion route is good for those people that know they want to be a lawyer but not sure whether they want to take the barrister or solicitor route.

Hope that helps!

Nic
Student Ambassador at The University of Law

Thank you! That makes sense. I think I’ll opt for the MA Law SQE1 because it includes de SQE1 prep and it’s a conversion masters as well. It also includes 4 weeks of QWE right? Then I’ll take a course prep for SQE2! Does the university help guide you with finding QWE?
Thank you! That makes sense. I think I’ll opt for the MA Law SQE1 because it includes de SQE1 prep and it’s a conversion masters as well. It also includes 4 weeks of QWE right? Then I’ll take a course prep for SQE2! Does the university help guide you with finding QWE?

Yes the employability service are brilliant! Once you are accepted onto the course- you'll have access to it (even before you start the course) so I highly recommend that you book an appointment with an advisor as soon as possible and they will guide you through what to do.

Nic
Student Ambassador at University of Law
Yes the employability service are brilliant! Once you are accepted onto the course- you'll have access to it (even before you start the course) so I highly recommend that you book an appointment with an advisor as soon as possible and they will guide you through what to do.

Nic

Awesome!! Will they help you just find the 4 weeks guaranteed by the course or help you throughout the 24 months QWE?

Could you please tell me about the entry requirements and the process of applying for the MA Law SQE1?

Nic

SFE has informed me they do not fund any of these courses... MA Law Conversion or MA Law SQE1. Now I am not sure what to do...
SFE has informed me they do not fund any of these courses... MA Law Conversion or MA Law SQE1. Now I am not sure what to do...

HI claraalmeidab1

Have you thought about applying for a scholarship? ULaw have lots available- you can check them out here: https://www.law.ac.uk/study/scholarships-bursaries/.

You can get a Masters Loan for the MA Law (I had one) through this page: https://www.gov.uk/masters-loan/eligibility.

And applications can be done directly to ULaw for postgraduate (I did it that way as it was easier): https://cc.law.ac.uk/Personal/Authentication/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fPersonal%2fCourses%2ffind%2f%3ffid%3d1%26pid%3d2%26cid%3d20_26&fid=1&pid=2&cid=20_26

I definitely recommend putting the time into a scholarship application though. I got a partial one for my Bar Course but they do give full scholarships too.

Hope that helps!

Nic
Student Ambassador at the University of Law
HI claraalmeidab1

Have you thought about applying for a scholarship? ULaw have lots available- you can check them out here: https://www.law.ac.uk/study/scholarships-bursaries/.

You can get a Masters Loan for the MA Law (I had one) through this page: https://www.gov.uk/masters-loan/eligibility.

And applications can be done directly to ULaw for postgraduate (I did it that way as it was easier): https://cc.law.ac.uk/Personal/Authentication/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fPersonal%2fCourses%2ffind%2f%3ffid%3d1%26pid%3d2%26cid%3d20_26&fid=1&pid=2&cid=20_26

I definitely recommend putting the time into a scholarship application though. I got a partial one for my Bar Course but they do give full scholarships too.

Hope that helps!

Nic

Amazing to heart this! Thank you!
Did you take the MA Law (conversion) or the MA SQE1? Could you please tell me what you thought about the course? I’m thinking of taking it and then doing prep courses for the SQE1 and SQE2, just fearful I won’t get enough info for the exams…

There are so many scholarships, I’m not sure which one to apply for :redface:
Amazing to heart this! Thank you!
Did you take the MA Law (conversion) or the MA SQE1? Could you please tell me what you thought about the course? I’m thinking of taking it and then doing prep courses for the SQE1 and SQE2, just fearful I won’t get enough info for the exams…

There are so many scholarships, I’m not sure which one to apply for :redface:

I did the MA Law - which I started in 2019 (it was just called the MA Law then). Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the SQE course as I am on the Bar Practice Course now but I did enjoy the MA Law.

I did the MA Law online- which was really handy considering what happened with the pandemic! ULaw have a good set up with their online platform called 'Elite' so you can access all of the resources online but they also send out hard copies (these were part of the course costs for me so all of my books were included). The work is split into weekly modules where you have set reading to do and tasks to do, then you have a workshop/engage section where you put the knowledge into practice. After that you have a consolidation task to check your understanding.

They follow the same system on campus too. I'm now on campus with the Bar Course and we still use Elite. The great thing with Elite too is that is has all the other departments on it too so you can access the library and employability lectures/events/resources as well.

On both of my courses, I've had lovely tutors. The more you talk to them, the more you get out of them. They've always been willing to help out.

Have a good read of the scholarship info- you only do one application for all of them!

Nic
Student Ambassador for The University of Law
I did the MA Law - which I started in 2019 (it was just called the MA Law then). Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the SQE course as I am on the Bar Practice Course now but I did enjoy the MA Law.

I did the MA Law online- which was really handy considering what happened with the pandemic! ULaw have a good set up with their online platform called 'Elite' so you can access all of the resources online but they also send out hard copies (these were part of the course costs for me so all of my books were included). The work is split into weekly modules where you have set reading to do and tasks to do, then you have a workshop/engage section where you put the knowledge into practice. After that you have a consolidation task to check your understanding.

They follow the same system on campus too. I'm now on campus with the Bar Course and we still use Elite. The great thing with Elite too is that is has all the other departments on it too so you can access the library and employability lectures/events/resources as well.

On both of my courses, I've had lovely tutors. The more you talk to them, the more you get out of them. They've always been willing to help out.

Have a good read of the scholarship info- you only do one application for all of them!

Nic
Student Ambassador for The University of Law

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you for your guidance :smile: did you get further SFE loan for your BPC? How does it work to get QWE? Does the university help with this?
This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you for your guidance :smile: did you get further SFE loan for your BPC? How does it work to get QWE? Does the university help with this?

No I got a partial scholarship for the Bar Course and paid the rest myself (I work part-time) but I got the masters loan for the MA Law. The other option you can also do is to apply for traineeships now (which will cover you QWE)- if you are offered a position, some solicitors firms will pay for your course. The article here helps: https://www.lawcareers.net/Explore/LCNSays/SQE-Qualifying-Work-Experience-FAQs but also you can use Law Careers Net to research firms- for example this firm offers fees and maintenance: https://www.lawcareers.net/Solicitors/Baker-McKenzie#more-info-target.

You'll need to go into each firm and check their sponsorship section.

And yes, ULaw do help with QWE- they have a brilliant employability service!

Nic
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending