The Student Room Group

A-level subject choices for medicine

Hi, I'm currently in year 11 and in my application for 6th form, I listed my preferences as Chemistry, Biology, Spanish and Psychology, given that I want to study medicine. The reason I am not taking maths beyond GCSE is that I would have to work extremely hard to get an A/A* because I really don't enjoy it and I understand that it is not required for medicine at most unis, with the exception of Cambridge and a couple of others.

With this being said, I was just curious about people's opinions on taking Spanish and Psychology at A-level.

Spanish is my favourite subject currently at GCSE and I have been getting consistent 9s in it since the end of year 10, so I am confident that I can succeed at A-Level (hopefully A*). Would this choice affect a medical application? If so, positively or negatively?

Psychology, however, I didn't take at GCSE but has always interested me in aspects of English Literature where psychological contexts have relevance.

Upon researching, I have seen that the A-Level has become more respected as an option by universities recently, and I was hoping to receive confirmation on this. Is Psychology a respected A-Level or is it still regarded as it was 7/8 years ago?

Also, the reason I am taking 4 A-Levels is because I'm interested in all of the subjects I hope to take (barring perhaps certain aspects of inorganic chemistry and ecology in biology), and my school requires students to either take 4 A-Levels or 3 with an EPQ - the idea of taking an EPQ never really appealed to me so 4 A-Levels seemed more sensible. Should I do 3 A-Levels with an EPQ rather than 4 (I would probably prefer to drop Psychology instead of Spanish)?

I have just realised that this is a lot but any replies would be really appreciated. ☺️
or @GANFYD should be able to help.
Original post by moonshade1
Hi, I'm currently in year 11 and in my application for 6th form, I listed my preferences as Chemistry, Biology, Spanish and Psychology, given that I want to study medicine. The reason I am not taking maths beyond GCSE is that I would have to work extremely hard to get an A/A* because I really don't enjoy it and I understand that it is not required for medicine at most unis, with the exception of Cambridge and a couple of others.

With this being said, I was just curious about people's opinions on taking Spanish and Psychology at A-level.

Spanish is my favourite subject currently at GCSE and I have been getting consistent 9s in it since the end of year 10, so I am confident that I can succeed at A-Level (hopefully A*). Would this choice affect a medical application? If so, positively or negatively?

Psychology, however, I didn't take at GCSE but has always interested me in aspects of English Literature where psychological contexts have relevance.

Upon researching, I have seen that the A-Level has become more respected as an option by universities recently, and I was hoping to receive confirmation on this. Is Psychology a respected A-Level or is it still regarded as it was 7/8 years ago?

Also, the reason I am taking 4 A-Levels is because I'm interested in all of the subjects I hope to take (barring perhaps certain aspects of inorganic chemistry and ecology in biology), and my school requires students to either take 4 A-Levels or 3 with an EPQ - the idea of taking an EPQ never really appealed to me so 4 A-Levels seemed more sensible. Should I do 3 A-Levels with an EPQ rather than 4 (I would probably prefer to drop Psychology instead of Spanish)?

I have just realised that this is a lot but any replies would be really appreciated. ☺️

Cambridge is the only medical school that requires biology, chemistry and maths or physics. You only need biology, chemistry and any 3rd subject for all other medical schools. Spanish would only be accepted if you don't speak spanish natively.
How to Apply for Medicine - it will give you lots of useful info - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medicine

Quick Reply

Latest