The Student Room Group

OCR A Level Biology Biological processes H420/01 - 9 Jun 2022 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by saffira
no don’t think so, just understand it folds in response to touch and this is a nastic movement (non directional response)

thigmonastic specifically tho right
(edited 1 year ago)
Does anyone know which organelle stains we need to know?
Original post by Childof God

i thought we didnt need to know names but i did an exam question a few days ago which asked for names of 2/3 stains and what they stain so im not sure....better to know some

none i don't think, the only thing i could think of would be the histology of the pancreas stuff, just the distinction between endocrine and exocrine tissue. Endocrine tissue comes up as lighter than exocrine tissue.

What like differentiation staining like for positive bacteria u use crystal violet then add iodine to fix the dye and to know it’s present should form purple/blue and for negative bacteria can’t use crystal violet since it doesn’t retain it due to its cell wall being thin so u use saffranin dye which should form red.
Original post by Miss McDonald
none i don't think, the only thing i could think of would be the histology of the pancreas stuff, just the distinction between endocrine and exocrine tissue. Endocrine tissue comes up as lighter than exocrine tissue.

Yep and alpha releases glucagon which stains pink and beta cells release insulin which stain yellow.
Original post by 🧸medical hope
Yep and alpha releases glucagon which stains pink and beta cells release insulin which stain yellow.

girl did u help write the syllabus or something 😭😭 how do you know so much omg!!!!! ur obv gonna do amazing
Original post by aliaa03
girl did u help write the syllabus or something 😭😭 how do you know so much omg!!!!! ur obv gonna do amazing

Gurl trust me I’m still nervous on how they gonna test us coz like u revise as much as u can but the main thing is being able to understand the question coz if u have all this knowledge but then don’t understand the question u can’t apply it doesn’t mean u didn’t work out just means u need to get what questions r asking which is the hard part ofc. I mean I would hope I do well or it would have been kind of waste to just re sit biology for the whole year . But nah go in there with a calm mind trust x
Original post by aliaa03

Gurl I invented that sh*t Jks
I wonder what they will ask for photosynthesis
I wonder what they will ask for photosynthesis

no idea, a nice outline the events in the light dependent stage would be nice but knowing ocr we won’t get that 🥲
it was in our last mock
based off photosynthesis
how an indicator changing colour because it gets reduced is acting like NADP and the final electron acceptor

just realised the conversation has SHIFTED from the hill reaction nvm
(edited 1 year ago)
guys cant lie
bio exams feel like they're on a whole different level
compared to chem
Original post by thrush
guys cant lie
bio exams feel like they're on a whole different level
compared to chem

What do u mean
What do u mean

for bio its not enough to learn content and practice it a few times
the questions always have twists and you can't always get full marks even if you understand everything
Original post by thrush
for bio its not enough to learn content and practice it a few times
the questions always have twists and you can't always get full marks even if you understand everything

Oh ofc but u can defo put ur self at a better postion
I need some advise my coughing is starting to come back again what can I do to suppress it coz literally when I get flus I can’t stop and I can already see it progressively gets worse I’m literally Trynna drink lots of Lemon and honey hot water gargling salt water and I had a cough like few months ago and was awake all night for 4 days striaght coz it was keeping me up
(edited 1 year ago)
What like differentiation staining like for positive bacteria u use crystal violet then add iodine to fix the dye and to know it’s present should form purple/blue and for negative bacteria can’t use crystal violet since it doesn’t retain it due to its cell wall being thin so u use saffranin dye which should form red.

Is this in the spec??
Original post by hiiiiiiye2ue89
Is this in the spec??

Ye it is. It’s about differential staining
yes sorry what I meant was advanced information, I thought that was under the Cell Structure topic? As a result it will be tested synoptically or low tariff, it's unlikely to be synoptic because the most likely way it could come up MCQ or 'what is the importance/purpose of staining' type question.
Ye it is. It’s about differential staining

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending