The Student Room Group

OCR A Level Biology Biological processes H420/01 - 9 Jun 2022 [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did the OCR A Level Biology Biological processes exam go for you?

OCR A Level Biology Paper 1: Biological Processes H420/01 - 9 Jun 2022

-Exam Chat Thread-

Exam technique, night before breakdowns and discussion regarding this exam... This is the place to be

Feel free to chat about your exam, add resources to the thread as well as anything that may be helpful to others

This thread covers the following papers:

H420/01 Paper 1 2h15 9 June 2022 pm

Resources

Specification: OCR- Biology A H420

Advance information: OCR - Biology A H420

(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hi guys! if u have any questions about bio content let me know and i'll try my best to explain :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by nanami8
hi guys! if u have any questions about bio content let me know and i'll try my best to explain :smile:

Hi! Please could you explain the role of cAMP??
Original post by elin994
Hi! Please could you explain the role of cAMP??

cAMP is a secondary messenger which has a role in the model of hormone action:
1. hormone (primary messenger) binds to a receptor, activating an enzyme called adenyl cyclase
2. adenyl cyclase triggers the conversion of ATP to cAMP on the inner surface of the membrane
3. once cAMP levels inside the cell increase, protein kinase enzymes phosphorylate other enzymes to activate them

think of cAMP as a domino piece which falls onto another, protein kinase, which then makes loads of other enzymes activated in an enzyme cascade
Original post by Zeke Yeager
can you please explain selective reabsorption ? thanks :smile:

urine formation occurs in 2 stages:
1. ultrafiltration
2. selective reabsorption

selective reabsorption happens in the PCT and its main importance is :
. during ultrafiltration lots of useful molecules are extracted from the blood since they can fit through podocytes in the basement membrane
. these need to be reabsorbed into the blood - this includes most of the water, all of the glucose (which is why having glucose in ur urine is a medical condition and suggests kidney damage), some of the inorganic ions

here is a useful extract outlining the process in detail:

Active transport is used to move Na+ out of the outer surface of a cell in the wall of the PCT into the blood.
This lowers the concentration of Na+ inside the cell, so that Na+ ions diffuse into the cell from the fluid inside the tubule. The Na+ ions diffuse through protein transporters in the cell surface membrane of the cell
As the Na+ions diffuse through these transporter proteins, they carry glucose molecules with them. This is called co-transport. The glucose molecules move through the cell and diffuse into the blood.
The movement of Na+ and glucose into the blood decreases the water potential in the blood. Water therefore moves by osmosis from the fluid inside the tubule, down a water potential gradient through the cells making up the wall of the tubule and into the blood.
hey! I haven't started revising for this yet and idek where to start. any ideas on what to do? im hearing some GCSE exams are being tested more on what isn't on the advanced information rather than what is so im worried it'll be the same for a levels. also, please can you explain photosynthesis?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Original post by nanami8
cAMP is a secondary messenger which has a role in the model of hormone action:
1. hormone (primary messenger) binds to a receptor, activating an enzyme called adenyl cyclase
2. adenyl cyclase triggers the conversion of ATP to cAMP on the inner surface of the membrane
3. once cAMP levels inside the cell increase, protein kinase enzymes phosphorylate other enzymes to activate them

think of cAMP as a domino piece which falls onto another, protein kinase, which then makes loads of other enzymes activated in an enzyme cascade

Holy crap I totally forgot about this I'm so sorry 😅😅😅😅😅 that's really helpful thank you so much I'm literally revising this rn haha imma do some exam questions on this soon!
hey guys , how we feelings about paper 1 ????
Original post by 17177171Ammmmm
hey guys , how we feelings about paper 1 ????

so scared watch how topics not on the advanced info make a big fat appearance
Original post by lol2468
so scared watch how topics not on the advanced info make a big fat appearance

honestlyyyy biologly is so unpredictable. is there like a structure to the exam other than the multiple choice questions.
honestlyyyy biologly is so unpredictable. is there like a structure to the exam other than the multiple choice questions.

wdym by structure?
Hey could you help me understand the difference between permeable, semi-permeable, selectively permeable and partially permeable membranes. Which names classify as the same type of membrane and what do they mean? Whats the difference between them? Thanks
Reply 12
hi,
Does anyone know or think that the info NOT in the advance info will make a massive appearance. Because I heard they will only be multiple choice question or 1 or 2 markers. Any thoughts?
Original post by KHN123
hi,
Does anyone know or think that the info NOT in the advance info will make a massive appearance. Because I heard they will only be multiple choice question or 1 or 2 markers. Any thoughts?

there deffo will be MCQ's but apparantly the OCR AS bio exam was last week and stuff not on the advanced info still a made up quite a bit of the marks so basically just revise everything and pray grade boundaries are low
Original post by lol2468
wdym by structure?

as in for my other exam it is like 8 10 12 20 marker ?
as in for my other exam it is like 8 10 12 20 marker ?

there will deffo be at least one 6 marker in each paper if not 2 6 markers other than that there is really no structure
the 2018 paper may be similar to what we will get for paper1
btw yes revise everything as mcq will be on anything
Original post by teeee7
the 2018 paper may be similar to what we will get for paper1
btw yes revise everything as mcq will be on anything

why do you think 2018 will be similar to paper 1?
has anyone done a level physics , can you tell us if most was advanced information?
has anyone done a level physics , can you tell us if most was advanced information?

Some of my friends did the paper yesterday (OCR I think), they said there were 8 marks (of 100) on gravitational fields overall (which wasn't on the advanced info), when it's supposed to be 5% of marks, although I imagine there'll be fewer marks not on the advance info in the other 2 papers to compensate. Other than that it seemed to mostly be on the advanced info although some topics on the advanced info were only worth a few marks apparently

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending