The Student Room Group

A-level options for social sciences??

I'm in my last year of GCSEs and have to pick my A-Levels. I've decided I'm going to pick history, geography and maths, but I can't choose between government & politics and Spanish. I plan on going on to uni to study something in the social sciences, something like politics, law, history, potentially with a language. I really love Spanish and don't want to drop it (not to mention it would be required if I wanted to study it as part of my degree), and some top unis apparently don't consider politics as a strong, academic a-level if you're unsure exactly which social sciences course you want to study, but would it be silly of me not to study politics if I'm considering it as a degree? Any advice?
Drop geography and pick up Spanish. There's no reason to study 4 A-Levels, as your offer will be based on 3 A-Levels.

Your selection of subjects is very good. I'd say definitely keep maths and Spanish as core subjects. Then you can play around with dropping geography OR history, or whatever, depending on what you want to study. Government and Politics is not a "weak" A-Level, it's well respected.
Reply 2
Original post by econhelp525
Drop geography and pick up Spanish. There's no reason to study 4 A-Levels, as your offer will be based on 3 A-Levels.

Your selection of subjects is very good. I'd say definitely keep maths and Spanish as core subjects. Then you can play around with dropping geography OR history, or whatever, depending on what you want to study. Government and Politics is not a "weak" A-Level, it's well respected.

Yeah I'd replace geography with Spanish any day, but my school won't let me do both Spanish and politics because of the way the timetable works out :frown:
Maths, Spanish and Politics would be a great choice for maximising your chances of a place for a Law and Spanish degree.

OR

Maths, Spanish, Politics and Geography if you'll be allowed to take 4 A-Levels for Cambridge or Oxford or LSE. :wink:
Original post by thegeek888
Maths, Spanish and Politics would be a great choice for maximising your chances of a place for a Law and Spanish degree.

OR

Maths, Spanish, Politics and Geography if you'll be allowed to take 4 A-Levels for Cambridge or Oxford or LSE. :wink:

Cambridge, Oxford, and LSE don't care if you do 3 or 4 A-Levels, with the exception of application to Economics, Maths, or similar, and iff the fourth A-Level is FM - and even then, it'd only be Cambridge and LSE.

OP, if you can't do Spanish + Politics, then consider doing Maths, Spanish, and History. They're all strong, traditional, academic subjects, and would open up doors for you to apply to any social science degree, or some Humanities, considering you said you were interested in History.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by econhelp525
Cambridge, Oxford, and LSE don't care if you do 3 or 4 A-Levels, with the exception of application to Economics, Maths, or similar, and iff the fourth A-Level is FM - and even then, it'd only be Cambridge and LSE.

OP, if you can't do Spanish + Politics, then consider doing Maths, Spanish, and History. They're all strong, traditional, academic subjects, and would open up doors for you to apply to any social science degree, or some Humanities, considering you said you were interested in History.

I think I might go with that actually. Thanks!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest