The Student Room Group

AQA A Level History Paper 1 (options A to L) 7042/1J - 26 May 2022 [Exam Chat]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by oliverturan
A reminder of what the questions were:

(no idea what the extracts said but I know A was by Niall Furgeson and B was by Bernard Porter)

Interpretation: How convincing are the following extracts in relation to the empire's economic importance to Britain (1890-1914)
Essay Q1: To what extent did British policy change India? (1858-1890)
Essay Q2: 'Britain's Imperial power was weakened by both world wars' (1914-1948)
Essay Q3: To what extent has empire left a mark of British popular culture? (1947-1967)

Do you remember the "less convincing" argument for extract A???
Reply 61
Is anyone doing Cold War for the second paper , any predictions on what the source will be?
paper seemed alright I think grade boundaries will be high

1. does anyone remember arguments about Extract C - more specifically the unconvincing nature
2. For those who did Q2 on Indian change what were you paragraphs , did you make reference to India under East India company --
3. Q3 - WW1/ Great Depression/WW2 - other forms ?
Original post by ellis23456

1. does anyone remember arguments about Extract C - more specifically the unconvincing nature
2. For those who did Q2 on Indian change what were you paragraphs , did you make reference to India under East India company --

For question3, i did WW1, nationalism in Ireland/Egypt (cos that wasn't really cause of the war) and then WW2
But Great Depression is also a good one to use
Original post by pee-pee-poo-poo
I didn't have much knowledge on the source-based question but I think I did well on the essay questions. Which essay questions did you choose?
I did the one about whether Catholicism or Puritanism caused serious threats to James I's authority and the one about accessing the validity of the claim that, Charles's views on the monarchy led to political division.

I choose the Catholic/ Puritan one like you but then the last one about Cromwell and Charles’ success at creating stability

1. I put extract C was unconvincing when it mentioned it gave jobs to many British people, as you could argue that cheap imports and labour actually depressed wages and depopulated the countryside
3. For q3, I did WWI, WW2 and Britain economically weakened by wars

Do you remember the main arguments and less convincing points of extract A??
tbh
Original post by jjmilito
1. I put extract C was unconvincing when it mentioned it gave jobs to many British people, as you could argue that cheap imports and labour actually depressed wages and depopulated the countryside
3. For q3, I did WWI, WW2 and Britain economically weakened by wars

tbh can't really remember aside that it was on economic unimportance - I think extracts will be fine - its just the essay questions
Original post by 15hh
Is anyone doing Cold War for the second paper , any predictions on what the source will be?

Yep! I think it will be on Kennedy's policies in Vietnam.
(This is because, Johnson's policies in Vietnam are skipped over, and similarly to how Trade & Commerce was the only topic between 1890 and 1914, Kennedy's policies in Vietnam is the only topic identified between 1955-1963) :smile:

Something about investment in the Empire? And something about how trade with countries outside of the Empire was prioritised.
(I think - my brain is so frazzled sorry lol)
(edited 1 year ago)

Yes my entire alternative argument was about continuity from East India Company rule
calm , I can't lie I was a bit thrown at first especially with the third paragraph aside from economic and social

what did you end up doing?
Original post by HugoDyson14
Yes my entire alternative argument was about continuity from East India Company rule
Do you remember the "less convincing" argument for extract A???

Yes, here is the extract:
Extract A: Was the Empire really economically beneficial to the mass of British voters? It is not immediately obvious that it was. The benefits of overseas investment were not enjoyed by the majority of people, whose savings (if they had any) were generally invested in British government bonds through savings banks and other financial intermediaries. At the same time, the costs of imperial defence, though not excessively high, were borne primarily by British taxpayers, not by taxpayers in the colonies of white settlement.

The less convincing argument to make is that the British taxpayer didn't always bare the expense of colonial militaries: In India, the sepoy army was paid for by Indian taxpayers, and it even benefitted the British because they deployed the Indian army all over the place (Boer Wars, World Wars, etc).
calm , I can't lie I was a bit thrown at first especially with the third paragraph aside from economic and social

what did you end up doing?

Did a few paragraphs on how it changed India, and then I countered one of those points

After that, I did a few paragraphs on how it showed continuity
Did anyone do the USA 1865-1975 for paper one?
Original post by emsparrott_
Did anyone do the USA 1865-1975 for paper one?

you're in the wrong thread for that module, it's here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7190395
Original post by UhhYear11
I do the Cold War, and the advanced information kind of indicates what the source will be based on hopefully.

Hey, no dw! How was Question 4? I know a lot of people at my Sixth Form did Question 4 instead of Question 2. :smile:

What do you think the cold war source will be?
Original post by LiamMcCartney
What do you think the cold war source will be?

Vietnam 1955-1963 (it is cut off from the rest of Vietnam) :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending