The Student Room Group

Routes to veterinary

Hi guys! I’m a year 12 student (studying bio, psych and history) and am really interested in veterinary surgery as a career path. I don’t do chemistry a level, making it hard for me to get into the university courses but I was wondering if there were any other routes?
Thanks!
Original post by lightstudent6
Hi guys! I’m a year 12 student (studying bio, psych and history) and am really interested in veterinary surgery as a career path. I don’t do chemistry a level, making it hard for me to get into the university courses but I was wondering if there were any other routes?
Thanks!

There are a few options, but you've very much limited them by only taking one science A level. One option would be to take a course which includes a preliminary year, such as that offered by Nottingham. The entry requirements are:
Screen Shot 2022-04-01 at 23.20.21.png

Do a bit of research into other vet schools which offer this option, and the eligibility to join the course.
Original post by lightstudent6
Thanks!

Prelim years and such are your only options really unless you want to do a degree before vet med which is financially difficult. You could always take a year off and just do a level chemistry to open your options. I'm about to start my second year as an April vet med applicant at Nottingham so let me know if you have questions!
As above, prelim at Nottingham is one option but they only have about 20-25 places across that course and gateway so it is highly competitive. Bristol gateway also only asks for biology or chemistry. Harper Keele also only wants one of biology and chemistry, but it does need another science subject and psychology is not eligible for that. Liverpool asks for biology and another science subject including psychology, however you'd still need chemistry at AS level. Unfortunately as said above your options are very limited without a chemistry A Level, and if you want the best chance I would take the chemistry A Level even if that involves a gap year and perhaps you could still apply to the gateway courses (and if you start AS chemistry in Year 13 potentially Liverpool? Or if you could somehow take Chemistry in your Year 13 too but that is a lot of work you could apply to more places) and then you wouldn't 'waste a year' and also get experience of the application process if it doesn't go right. Vet med is very competitive - this guide shows that there is generally about 10 applicants for a place and unfortunately you will be competing against people who will have all the qualifications needed etc - the good thing is that they do not rank you based on your grades as long as you reach the minimum (i.e. getting A*A*A*A* won't put you above someone who gets AAA). GCSE grades are also important and each school has different ones. Work experience requirements are just as important too. I applied with necessary grades and work experience and still didn't get offers in the first cycle I applied, took a gap year and reapplied and now am a first year at Liverpool - this happens to a lot of people, so I'd really try to be able to apply for the full 4 vet med courses for best chance.

You could also try go graduate route but I'd highly discourage it as you will need to conjure up £9250 a year as do not get tuition fee loan, it is much longer than a gap year and the 4 year graduate courses are more competitive than the 5 year - I would definitely recommend not taking another degree first if you really want to be a vet. There is no way to become a vet without a vet degree unfortunately. If it is just surgery you are interested in and you aren't too set on vet med specifically you could look at other careers such as vet nursing (you can do certain minor procedures and assist in surgeries) or biovet, however they are wildly different to being a veterinary surgeon so I would figure out what you want and if you are set enough on vet med to do the extra work at this stage.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending