The Student Room Group

revision help

now that we are given advanced information for our exams, as a year 11 student, im finding it difficult benefitting from past papers. i am being asked in detail about topics not required and not asked much about the topics that i do require. for science for example, im answering exam style questions by topic using pmt and the pearson edexcel website has also provided topic tests for us but can anyone recommend some tips maybe for revising and at the same time making use of the advanced information? especially for the sciences!
(edited 2 years ago)
^^
hi sure, no worries.
firstly, good luck for your exams. You'll smash them.

Secondly, i would really recommend checking out GCSE revision website that you may not have come across before, and have a good look at their revision guides for the top grades. Personally, i found these much much more useful than the cgp guides or textbooks since they are written by genuine grade 9 students so they know what it takes to hit the top grades (esp. for subjects like sciences, geography, languages...) etc.

if you want a FANTASTIC place to start, i would suggest searching up "Bytes of Intelligence" on google and check out their shop.
Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 3
thank you very much for your reply! have you got any cost free websites to recommend?
Original post by user369
now that we are given advanced information for our exams, as a year 11 students, im finding it difficult benefitting from past papers. i am being asked in detail about topics not required and not asked much about the topics that i do require. for science for example, im answering exam style questions by topic using pmt and the pearson edexcel website has also provided topic tests for us but can anyone recommend some tips maybe for revising and at the same time making use of the advanced information? especially for the sciences!

Firstly, Good Luck
You have a much higher chance of doing better than me. I took my GCSEs in 2019 and I had to study all of the stuff even if it wasnt in the exam because it might have been. You also dont have to learn the equations unlike me which is another help. The fact you have advanced information is positive, you know the areas you should be foccusing on. Not the areas you are confident in, but the areas you struggle with that you know will be in the exam. Revision guides could help as they did for me but im unsure now as your exams are diffrent to 2019 when i took them.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by user369
thank you very much for your reply! have you got any cost free websites to recommend?

Sure - check out science with hazel's youtube channel. But if you are able to, Bytes of Intelligence have very affordable, but grade 9 detail revision guides :smile:
Original post by integration4ever
Secondly, i would really recommend checking out GCSE revision website that you may not have come across before, and have a good look at their revision guides for the top grades. Personally, i found these much much more useful than the cgp guides or textbooks since they are written by genuine grade 9 students so they know what it takes to hit the top grades (esp. for subjects like sciences, geography, languages...) etc.

Is there a similar resource for A level?
Original post by penguingirl18
Is there a similar resource for A level?

Hi thanks for ur reply. if i'm not mistaken, bytes of intelligence also does a few A-level guides.
But in general, yh i would personally also recommend revision guides in a-levels so that you can form your notes around these A* level notes. Depending on your subject, there are a few great websites out there!! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by integration4ever
Sure - check out science with hazel's youtube channel. But if you are able to, Bytes of Intelligence have very affordable, but grade 9 detail revision guides :smile:

thanks so much. i will definitely consider bytes of intelligence for a level material if they have any. i feel like its too late to purchase revision guides now when most of my notes and flashcards are complete
Reply 9
Original post by AvfcWalpole7
Firstly, Good Luck
You have a much higher chance of doing better than me. I took my GCSEs in 2019 and I had to study all of the stuff even if it wasnt in the exam because it might have been. You also dont have to learn the equations unlike me which is another help. The fact you have advanced information is positive, you know the areas you should be foccusing on. Not the areas you are confident in, but the areas you struggle with that you know will be in the exam. Revision guides could help as they did for me but im unsure now as your exams are diffrent to 2019 when i took them.

thanks! im feeling a little less stressed looking at all the content that has been taken out and the fact that i know all the practicals that will appear is a positive too.

Quick Reply

Latest