The Student Room Group

AQA A Level English Literature A Paper 1 7712/1 - 7 Jun 2022 [Exam Chat]

Poll

How did the exam go for you?

AQA A Level English Literature A Paper 1 7712/1 - 7 Jun 2022 [Exam Chat]

Here is the exam discussion for this exam. Talk anything from how to revise for it, specific questions or time management :ahee:

Date/Time: Tuesday 7th June AM
Length: 3h

Resources:
Specification
Advanced Information

:goodluck: with revision and exams :work:
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
got this the same day as my pure maths paper. can't wait to cramp my hand in the 1st 10 mins from all the nonsense I'll be writing lmao.
Original post by H.dy
got this the same day as my pure maths paper. can't wait to cramp my hand in the 1st 10 mins from all the nonsense I'll be writing lmao.

oh my days same, they’re my second and third exams
Does anyone have any tips or resources for unseen poetry? I'm struggling
Original post by Ahhhhhhhhhhh0101
Does anyone have any tips or resources for unseen poetry? I'm struggling

Hey there - I run a YouTube channel dedicated to sharing English Lit study videos, and I have a couple of detailed videos explaining how to approach unseen poetry. Check them out and see if they help you at all?

How to compare unseen poems (past paper walkthrough): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivDl4UYBK4E&t=17s
How to analyse unseen poems (past paper walkthrough): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSqcfPZ9V_w
Original post by Hyperbolit
Hey there - I run a YouTube channel dedicated to sharing English Lit study videos, and I have a couple of detailed videos explaining how to approach unseen poetry. Check them out and see if they help you at all?

How to compare unseen poems (past paper walkthrough): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivDl4UYBK4E&t=17s
How to analyse unseen poems (past paper walkthrough): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSqcfPZ9V_w

Thank you so much! I'll check them out :smile:

Just clicked to see if I knew the channel and I do! I love your channel! I've watched some of your videos on Othello they were so helpful. I'll watch these tomorrow but just seen they're for GCSE, will they also apply to A level? Is it the kind of thing you just need to do to a better standard for A Level? It's been such a long time since I done my GCSE lit (I'm a mature student) I can't remember how much of a crossover there is.
Just clicked to see if I knew the channel and I do! I love your channel! I've watched some of your videos on Othello they were so helpful. I'll watch these tomorrow but just seen they're for GCSE, will they also apply to A level? Is it the kind of thing you just need to do to a better standard for A Level? It's been such a long time since I done my GCSE lit (I'm a mature student) I can't remember how much of a crossover there is.

Honestly the skills are virtually the same - I have a more general one applicable to all levels on how to analyse any unseen poem here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yr7VSIgy9s&t=183s

Thank you for watching, and I'm so pleased to hear that the videos have helped you :smile: I'll be posting a couple more Othello ones in the next few weeks ahead of the A-Level Othello paper, so stay tuned!
Honestly the skills are virtually the same - I have a more general one applicable to all levels on how to analyse any unseen poem here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yr7VSIgy9s&t=183s

Thank you for watching, and I'm so pleased to hear that the videos have helped you :smile: I'll be posting a couple more Othello ones in the next few weeks ahead of the A-Level Othello paper, so stay tuned!

I see! Thank you again - you're a saint!
How do you structure an unseen poetry essay, also do any of you have condensed/analysed quotes for the great gatsby
Original post by mell.cathh
How do you structure an unseen poetry essay, also do any of you have condensed/analysed quotes for the great gatsby

heyy i don’t do the great gatsby but i would totally recommend checking out quizlet, it’s really helped me for my subjects.

when you search, filter it to be quizlet plus users and you should be able to find some good ones.
Does anyone do The Taming of the Shrew for love and relationships paper 1? If so how are you revising because the advanced information wasn't very useful as they only stated Act 1 as the focus. Also just wondered whether anyone had any ideas of potential themes and questions they might ask for the Shakespeare section - maybe disguise, violence, relationships etc?
Original post by ecrick03
Does anyone do The Taming of the Shrew for love and relationships paper 1? If so how are you revising because the advanced information wasn't very useful as they only stated Act 1 as the focus. Also just wondered whether anyone had any ideas of potential themes and questions they might ask for the Shakespeare section - maybe disguise, violence, relationships etc?

I do Othello but I was just told an Act as well. I analysed the act itself a bit to get familiar with it and then I looked at past questions about the act and done some practise. I think you'll probably have to link it to the rest of the text anyway, so think about how you can do that with different themes.

Edit: unless it's different for Taming of The Shrew, I think it could be a character question too
(edited 1 year ago)
I do Othello but I was just told an Act as well. I analysed the act itself a bit to get familiar with it and then I looked at past questions about the act and done some practise. I think you'll probably have to link it to the rest of the text anyway, so think about how you can do that with different themes.

Edit: unless it's different for Taming of The Shrew, I think it could be a character question too

What were the main themes that you found in ACT 3? :smile:
Original post by causeilikeit
What were the main themes that you found in ACT 3? :smile:

Jealousy, male friendship, female friendship, representations of women, different interpretations of love (e.g love as misunderstood, love as painful, possessive)
Jealousy, male friendship, female friendship, representations of women, different interpretations of love (e.g love as misunderstood, love as painful, possessive)

omg! Thank you so incredibly much! Right off to do essay plans on these aahaa... ive seen on another thing here that a lot of people are thinking the the question will be about jealousy
for othello, i think maybe jealousy will come up bc it's Act 3, or maybe something to do with women or Desdemona. also, for section C, i think the question will be about a positive aspect of love since it's been negative aspects for the past couple of years, so it might be things like passion, unconditional love, devotion, longing, desire etc. i've also been figuring out some predictions for unseen poetry and the poems have all been from the 20th century. there were two years where they included a 20th century poem WITH a 1600s poem. so they could potentially continue the 20th century theme if they're feeling nice, or if not, i think the poems will be from 1700s and 1800s since we've already had 1600s. that being said, you could revise these eras and the literary periods of those times and have that be the basis of your essay. like if a poem is from the 20th century you could talk about the detachment from traditional values, or the newfound empowerment women experienced through the wars, the vote and the pill etc.
I agree. Does anyone know whether they could ask a question specifically on the significance of the handkerchief? or do you think it will be character/theme based?
Original post by sophie365h
I agree. Does anyone know whether they could ask a question specifically on the significance of the handkerchief? or do you think it will be character/theme based?

I'm a bit worried it might be! I always forget my couple of points on the handkerchief and i don't think i could write a whole essay on it. It might be too limiting for them to ask us to write about just a symbol though, so I hope if this does come up it will be linked to a wider theme too.
Reply 19
if u do lang and lit i don’t think there’s one

Quick Reply