The Student Room Group

stethescopes are cool / brother appreciation post

it was my birthday today, and I've got a few offers to study medicine in September and my brother bought me stethoscope for my birthday!

I feel kinda bad because I've been told not to buy one until freshers week as we can probably get money off, and he spent like £90 which is really a lot of money for us, and I've been told depending on the uni I go to I might not even use it until like 3rd year. And I literally haven't gotten in yet, I still have to meet the offer. But nonetheless it's the thought that counts, and I'm so grateful!!! Plus it works as motivation to actually get into medicine and put it to use.

Also they are so cool. Like, really. I've never used one before but like, they're so much louder and clearer than I thought they'd be, I don't know what I was expecting but yeah, really cool!

As for actual questions, it's the Littmann Classic III, is that a good one? how long can I expect it to last? all of medical school at least?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
I've had my steth for 7 years, still going strong. They last for ages.
Drives me mad when people do stuff like that! I know it's good intentions but it just feels a bit premature doesn't it! When I told a friend of mine I was applying to med school, she bought me a copy of the Oxford handbook of the foundation programme. I hadn't even got in to medical school yet, let alone being anywhere near FY1/2! Felt like she was wasting her money... As you say, it's the thought that counts. Your steth with last you years if you look after it. Mines lasted 7 and I definitely haven't looked after it! Kneeled on it, leaned on it, dropped it, thrown it, caught it in a door... 🙊
Reply 2
Original post by jan33
it was my birthday today, and I've got a few offers to study medicine in September and my brother bought me stethoscope for my birthday!

I feel kinda bad because I've been told not to buy one until freshers week as we can probably get money off, and he spent like £90 which is really a lot of money for us, and I've been told depending on the uni I go to I might not even use it until like 3rd year. And I literally haven't gotten in yet, I still have to meet the offer. But nonetheless it's the thought that counts, and I'm so grateful!!! Plus it works as motivation to actually get into medicine and put it to use.

Also they are so cool. Like, really. I've never used one before but like, they're so much louder and clearer than I thought they'd be, I don't know what I was expecting but yeah, really cool!

As for actual questions, it's the Littmann Classic III, is that a good one? how long can I expect it to last? all of medical school at least?

It's absolutely the right one, will do you fine for decades if you look after it! I bought my first one 16 years ago, lost it after about 8 years and am still only on my second. Though I don't use it much these days.
Reply 3
Original post by PAR2MED
I've had my steth for 7 years, still going strong. They last for ages.
Drives me mad when people do stuff like that! I know it's good intentions but it just feels a bit premature doesn't it! When I told a friend of mine I was applying to med school, she bought me a copy of the Oxford handbook of the foundation programme. I hadn't even got in to medical school yet, let alone being anywhere near FY1/2! Felt like she was wasting her money... As you say, it's the thought that counts. Your steth with last you years if you look after it. Mines lasted 7 and I definitely haven't looked after it! Kneeled on it, leaned on it, dropped it, thrown it, caught it in a door... 🙊

That's probably a worse idea than a steth, as they'll be at least one if not two new editions of that book before you enter the foundation programme!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Helenia
That's probably a worse idea than a steth, as they'll be at least one if not two new editions of that book before you enter the foundation programme!

Yes my thoughts exactly! But she was trying to be nice and she was clearly more excited that I was at the whole prospect, so I can't be too annoyed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending