The Student Room Group

Please help urgent

Hi just wondering if anyone reading this would be either a genetic counsellor or have some knowledge about genetic testing.

I’m planning on getting married very soon and I have 3 brothers and out of three brother 2 of them differ from a autosomal dominant disorder called dystonia which came about from childhood. They were both born perfectly fine however as they reached the age of 3-4 years they were diagnosed with dystonia and also global motor learning development. However me (female) and my other brother and completely normal and unaffected. So currently me and my partner are planning on getting married and I had advised him to get genetic testing done just in case anything for present on his side. His results came back completely clear and he’s not a carrier if any faulty gene. Now what I’m confused with is if both of my brothers are affected by the gene dies that mean me and my other brother are carriers of it or are we completely free from the gene as its a dominant gene. And what are the chances of me or my brother being carriers of that gene. Please let me know
Thank- you
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi just wondering if anyone reading this would be either a genetic counsellor or have some knowledge about genetic testing.

I’m planning on getting married very soon and I have 3 brothers and out of three brother 2 of them differ from a autosomal dominant disorder called dystonia which came about from childhood. They were both born perfectly fine however as they reached the age of 3-4 years they were diagnosed with dystonia and also global motor learning development. However me (female) and my other brother and completely normal and unaffected. So currently me and my partner are planning on getting married and I had advised him to get genetic testing done just in case anything for present on his side. His results came back completely clear and he’s not a carrier if any faulty gene. Now what I’m confused with is if both of my brothers are affected by the gene dies that mean me and my other brother are carriers of it or are we completely free from the gene as its a dominant gene. And what are the chances of me or my brother being carriers of that gene. Please let me know
Thank- you

Hey, as it’s dominant, if you had even one copy of the gene it would be expressed. As you do not have dystonia you will also not be a carrier fortunately x
Reply 2
Genetic testing is always a good idea, however, it is far from being accurate. Well, it is accurate but it doesn't mean that a certain gen will pass to the child, it is only a possibility of them being passed. But still it is something that can help you be ready for things.
Reply 3
Original post by Chi chi5
Hey, as it’s dominant, if you had even one copy of the gene it would be expressed. As you do not have dystonia you will also not be a carrier fortunately x

appreciate it thankyou

Quick Reply

Latest