The Student Room Group

How do I convince my mum for me not to do EBacc for GCSE

So I just learnt that EBacc is useless and I don't want to do it anymore but how do I tell my mum? My mum is so for EBacc and will believe everything the school says and she believes this will help me in life/ University, which it wont. We have to fill out a paper form to state our GCSE options and you NEED a parental signature and there for my mum is going to see my options. Any help will be appreciated.
To achieve the EBacc students must study at least seven GCSEs in the five areas: English language, English literature, maths, double science or biology, chemistry and physics, history or geography and a language.

Which one do you not want to do?
Reply 2
Original post by ReadingMum
To achieve the EBacc students must study at least seven GCSEs in the five areas: English language, English literature, maths, double science or biology, chemistry and physics, history or geography and a language.

Which one do you not want to do?

I don't want to do Geography
Original post by Larysa2008
I don't want to do Geography

You could do History then right, along with a language and you enter Ebacc?
Reply 4
Original post by HalalSafwan
You could do History then right, along with a language and you enter Ebacc?

I think I might of said it wrong, I don't want to do a Humanity and since you only do one, Geography or History, and originally I picked Geography. But i later on found out that EBacc is useless and me and my mum had a discussion on why i should do Geography, now i want to tell her i don't want to do it and try and convince her, i hope that makes sense
I think I might of said it wrong, I don't want to do a Humanity and since you only do one, Geography or History, and originally I picked Geography. But i later on found out that EBacc is useless and me and my mum had a discussion on why i should do Geography, now i want to tell her i don't want to do it and try and convince her, i hope that makes sense

Which subject do you want to do instead?
Reply 6
Which subject do you want to do instead?

Art and Design 3D
Art and Design 3D

You do know it’s all Portfolio and Coursework based - some may be deterred by that.
Reply 8
You do know it’s all Portfolio and Coursework based - some may be deterred by that.

Yes, I would much rather do that then study a Humanity and I enjoy it way more
Reply 9
So I just learnt that EBacc is useless and I don't want to do it anymore but how do I tell my mum? My mum is so for EBacc and will believe everything the school says and she believes this will help me in life/ University, which it wont. We have to fill out a paper form to state our GCSE options and you NEED a parental signature and there for my mum is going to see my options. Any help will be appreciated.

So I am doing A levels right now, guaranteed I did do the EBacc course. I did History, French, Economics and Art as my extra subjects. If I am being honest, nobody gives a crap about EBacc. Though it does show your ability to study languages and humanities- it isn’t essential. I completely forgot what EBacc was, I just took it because those subjects were what I was interested in anyways. Sixth form is not concerned with your subject choices, just the grades! Always choose subjects you enjoy because otherwise your grades will suffer. Even at a university level, EBacc is not really taken into consideration. Above all, your grades are what are important not the subjects you take. Hope that helps!
To convince her try and show her good sixth form entry requirements and Russel University entry requirements to show that none of them require an EBacc. If you can show Oxford and Cambridge as they are considered the best in the UK (at most studying a foreign language is prized but not necessarily an EBacc). Even if you don't want to go to these places it would be helpful as she will be able to see that majority of places really don't care and what's more important is that you take subjects you enjoy and can do well in rather than specifically what you take. Also it's best to start telling her as soon as you can so she can get used to the idea and can come to terms with it. If she's still not convinced after you showing it doesn't really matter and it's best to take subjects you enjoy so you can get good grades, then try explaining that the school is only pushing you to do an EBacc because they are judged on how many of their students take it as it's the government who are trying to encourage them not universities.

Honestly I wish I hadn't believed everyone when they told me an EBacc would give me an advantage to universities. I took Spanish because of it and I regret it so much and wish I dropped out ages ago. I'm not failing but it's significantly lower than my other GCSE's. I was also told that people don't value btec's and I would get looked down on for taking one, when in reality for gcse this isn't true. If I could go back I would defintely replace Spanish with a health and social care btec or maybe sociology.
Reply 11
Original post by Caitlinnn.
To convince her try and show her good sixth form entry requirements and Russel University entry requirements to show that none of them require an EBacc. If you can show Oxford and Cambridge as they are considered the best in the UK (at most studying a foreign language is prized but not necessarily an EBacc). Even if you don't want to go to these places it would be helpful as she will be able to see that majority of places really don't care and what's more important is that you take subjects you enjoy and can do well in rather than specifically what you take. Also it's best to start telling her as soon as you can so she can get used to the idea and can come to terms with it. If she's still not convinced after you showing it doesn't really matter and it's best to take subjects you enjoy so you can get good grades, then try explaining that the school is only pushing you to do an EBacc because they are judged on how many of their students take it as it's the government who are trying to encourage them not universities.

Honestly I wish I hadn't believed everyone when they told me an EBacc would give me an advantage to universities. I took Spanish because of it and I regret it so much and wish I dropped out ages ago. I'm not failing but it's significantly lower than my other GCSE's. I was also told that people don't value btec's and I would get looked down on for taking one, when in reality for gcse this isn't true. If I could go back I would defintely replace Spanish with a health and social care btec or maybe sociology.

Hi sorry if this is weird because you posted that 4 months ago, but I REALLY want to drop Spanish, but does dropping out of EBACC mean I can no longer do triple science and further math? I'm already in those, and I'm currently trying to convince my school to let me change Spanish (they are not letting me) but I'm worried it will affect my other subjects like math and science.
Reply 12
No, that was not the case for me at school. I still did triple science and history, but I dropped French. If your school is pressuring you, then ask your parent, older sibling (preferably 18 and over), or carer to get involved by either coming into school or writing a formal complaint. I know a lot of people who were forced into doing EBACC for GCSE and they disliked it.

Regarding further math, I am not to sure how that dynamic would work but I would assume your school should allow you to continue your subjects, as that would otherwise be unethical on their part if they are just trying to look good by getting more students to do EBACC like my school did. Good luck with your exams, I hope this helps and do not worry too much :smile:.
(edited 1 year ago)
NO University requires 'EBacc'

We do not mention it in entry requirements for any degree course, it has no place in our decision making, its meaningless.
Pick the GCSEs that you will enjoy studying and that you want to do.
The only useful aspect of EBacc is that it encourages people to take a wide range of subjects and if you "do an EBacc" it's very difficult to dig yourself into a hole where you suddenly discover that there's no path into a career you fancy because you didn't do the right GCSEs to do the right A levels to do the right degree. It would theoretically be possible to do ten GCSEs which could cause that sort of issue (think, for instance, ten languages and nothing else), but it's extremely unlikely that any school would ever let you.

Nobody is ever going to care that you did 3D design instead of Geography. No university is ever going to check your GCSEs against the EBacc list, and I would lay money that you can't find a job advert which mentions it.

Do whatever you want. The EBacc is completely useless and you don't even get a certificate that confirms that you did it. Nobody will care and it does not give you an advantage since there's nothing there to prove that you did it.
I know this is a year late but if anyone does see this thread and needs a parental signature: choose what they want you to choose, they'll sign it, fix the options then hand it in

Quick Reply

Latest