The Student Room Group

international foundation year

I'm an international student but have studied under the UK education system for 4 years (GCSE and A-levels). I wanted to pursue law and I am predicted A*A*A (Maths, Chemistry, Economics) and another A* achieved. For undergraduate I applied to Cambridge/ LSE/ KCL/ UCL. Got rejected from Cambridge and not granted an interview, got rejected from LSE due to GCSE ( I did 13 subjects I was in the process in dropping the one I got B in mocks , but my skl refused to let me drop it and gave me a C at the end) Got rejcetd from KCL and UCL because of my extremely low LNAT grades. Warwick haven't replied to me yet, but I am keen on doing my undergraduate degree in g5 unis + kcl, so I applied to a few foundation courses. I applied to UPC at UCL after 13/4 which they say my application will be disadvantaged I also applied to KCL and durham. Durham gave me an offer within one day. I really want to pursue my LLB undergraduate in g5+kcl unis, and I don't know which foundation is the best for me, or is taking a gap year better? Does anyone manage to be admit to ucl/ kcl under their programmes? Even if I don't get to do llb course I don't mind doing another course in ucl/ kcl and take a law conversion year after my degree.
Depending on the university you look at, a lot of the time the overall requirements are lower if you do a Law LLB with e.g Politics along side. You still gain the qualifying law degree but with a side of something else which can also be granted as beneficial in the industry. A lot of people i’ve heard from say the foundation year is not the best idea to take due to it being a preparation year rather than a real year of study, however this would depend how it would suit you, too.

Universities that are more prone in acceptance that are relatively highly ranked too may include Exeter, Cardiff, QMUL, Royal Holloway, University of Sussex, University of Bristol, and many more that are still quite prestigious but with higher acceptances.

Edit: Also looking at your grades being entirely A* I don’t see personally how they would deny your applications, sometimes it helps to have an EPQ as universities like these, and a lot of the time you can talk to them direct to discuss your grades and how you are able to get in, there are a few options you may be able to take however I don’t know enough detail to tell you enough about them.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by greentiger
Depending on the university you look at, a lot of the time the overall requirements are lower if you do a Law LLB with e.g Politics along side. You still gain the qualifying law degree but with a side of something else which can also be granted as beneficial in the industry. A lot of people i’ve heard from say the foundation year is not the best idea to take due to it being a preparation year rather than a real year of study, however this would depend how it would suit you, too.

Universities that are more prone in acceptance that are relatively highly ranked too may include Exeter, Cardiff, QMUL, Royal Holloway, University of Sussex, University of Bristol, and many more that are still quite prestigious but with higher acceptances.

Edit: Also looking at your grades being entirely A* I don’t see personally how they would deny your applications, sometimes it helps to have an EPQ as universities like these, and a lot of the time you can talk to them direct to discuss your grades and how you are able to get in, there are a few options you may be able to take however I don’t know enough detail to tell you enough about them.

Thank you for your suggestions, I've defo have a look at them. Have you heard of anything more about the foundations tho, like is it guaranteed that u'll get a degree after the foundation. I really wanted to study in my dream schools for my undergraduate degree as I don't want to leave any regrets :frown: and honestly idk y Warwick hasn't given me a decision yet.. and it did hurt when I wasn't even given a chance for an interview at Cambridge...
(edited 2 years ago)
Have you heard back from KCL yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending