The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

help me choose a uni please

Poll

which uni

I got rejected from my top choice uni - Durham and need to decide on which uni to choose now, I was really upset about my rejection especially because I'd worked so hard to get the grades that I don't even need anymore, I'm predicted A*AAA and my back up choices are AAA for natural sciences at Lancaster or ABB for biochemistry at Cardiff - I want to go to a good uni and Lancaster has a higher ranking than Cardiff but isn't a Russel group like Cardiff, I definitely would like to go to the best out of these 2 but I'm not sure which one would be better when applying for postgraduate studies - the higher ranking of Lancaster or Cardiff because it's older and is part of Russell group.
id really like to know which one would put me in the best position in the future and how to choose between these 2.
if someone who graduated from either of these with the same degrees I'd really appreciate some feedback on how you think the uni helped you academically
or am I wrong and maybe the degree is more important than the uni???
(edited 2 years ago)
If you are that keen on Durham then why not just forget UCAS this year and reapply next year.
If not, Lancaster would be a good choice, and NS is a valuable prgram that allows you a more flexible degree than just Biochem.
Cardiff grades seem to make it the obvious Insurance choice.

Btw, Russell Group has no useful meaning - its a self-appointed marketing idea nothing more, so ignore it.
Plenty of very good Unis are not part of it and its essentially 'tthe old Unis that got scared when the Polytechnics got Uni status'.
Lancaster, Bath, St Andrews, Loughborough etc are not part of it and produce some of the most employable graduates each year.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
If you are that keen on Durham then why not just forget UCAS this year and reapply next year.
If not, Lancaster would be a good choice, and NS is a valuable prgram that allows you a more flexible degree than just Biochem.
Cardiff grades seem to make it the obvious Insurance choice.

Btw, Russell Group has no useful meaning - its a self-appointed marketing idea nothing more, so ignore it.
Plenty of very good Unis are not part of it and its essentially 'tthe old Unis that got scared when the Polytechnics got Uni status'.
Lancaster, Bath, St Andrews, Loughborough etc are not part of it and produce some of the most employable graduates each year.

Thank you!
My parents aren’t too keen on me taking a year out and the reason i got rejected was my predicted grades and i’m not sure i will achieve higher than my predicted in my actual a levels so i don’t think a year out would be ideal but i’m still considering it. I’m visiting lancaster soon so hopefully i’ll like it
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Barm02
Don't let random students on a forum choose which University you go to! Choose yourself, you know what's best for you.

I just wanted to see what others opinions are to be honest, like i don’t know if the degree or the uni would be more important, dw i am going to visit both of them and decide for myself soon, i’ll make sure it’s my own decision, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest