The Student Room Group

University of Sussex or University of reading as firm choice for Computer scy

Hey, as the title says, I am in a dilemma right now and can’t seem to make a decision on whether I should firm Uni of sussex or reading.

I am studying an access course and the offers from Reading is 18 distinctions if i firm them and 21 distinctions for Sussex if I firm them.

My other offers are: Queen mary (30dist), Leicester(30dist), and Kent (unconditional).

Can someone please advise me which of those 2 universities is the better one for computer science and overall student life?

Any help appreciated, thank you
Reply 1
Not sure about Sussex but from what I've heard Reading is a great uni. My cousin went there through clearing and she loves it.
I didn't apply to any of the same unis as you but what I did to choose my firm and insurance was look at which unis ticked the most boxes. For me a placement was crucial so Cambridge was out. I then turned down GSA because I wasn't happy with their societies on offer. I was left with 2 unis and put Bath as my firm as it has higher entry requirements and better ranking than my insurance (not saying you need an insurance if your firm has the lowest grades). Hope this helps :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by Andi.0k
Not sure about Sussex but from what I've heard Reading is a great uni. My cousin went there through clearing and she loves it.
I didn't apply to any of the same unis as you but what I did to choose my firm and insurance was look at which unis ticked the most boxes. For me a placement was crucial so Cambridge was out. I then turned down GSA because I wasn't happy with their societies on offer. I was left with 2 unis and put Bath as my firm as it has higher entry requirements and better ranking than my insurance (not saying you need an insurance if your firm has the lowest grades). Hope this helps :biggrin:

Hey, thank you for this. Btw did you reject Cambridge? I just firmed Reading but feel kinda ban rejecting a Russel Group uni :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by lanblade
Hey, thank you for this. Btw did you reject Cambridge? I just firmed Reading but feel kinda ban rejecting a Russel Group uni :frown:

Yeah I did. And my mum was really angry at first! Their architecture department imo isn't very good and definitely felt like an afterthought. Most other unis I've seen have better departments Cambridge just has prestige because of its age.
Tbf Russle group doesn't mean much at undergrad unless you know you wanna go into research and plan to stay at the same uni for your post grad. NGL I've heard bad things about Queen Mary but I haven't looked into it personally.
Reply 4
Original post by Andi.0k
Yeah I did. And my mum was really angry at first! Their architecture department imo isn't very good and definitely felt like an afterthought. Most other unis I've seen have better departments Cambridge just has prestige because of its age.
Tbf Russle group doesn't mean much at undergrad unless you know you wanna go into research and plan to stay at the same uni for your post grad. NGL I've heard bad things about Queen Mary but I haven't looked into it personally.

Yeah I agree with you completely! Also same, heard bad things about Queen but not so much about Reading. Thank you for your help btw, and gl with uni :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by lanblade
Yeah I agree with you completely! Also same, heard bad things about Queen but not so much about Reading. Thank you for your help btw, and gl with uni :smile:

Gl to you too! :smile:
Hey @ianblade and @Andi.0k,
Thanks for the great feedback about Reading, and glad to hear of your positive experiences here :smile: Congratulations for firming your offer, we're excited to welcome you! You might want to head over to our 2023 applicant thread to have a chat to other students for this years' entry too.
If you have any questions, please let us know!
Kat :smile:
3rd year History Undergraduate
Reply 7
Original post by UniofReading
Hey @ianblade and @Andi.0k,
Thanks for the great feedback about Reading, and glad to hear of your positive experiences here :smile: Congratulations for firming your offer, we're excited to welcome you! You might want to head over to our 2023 applicant thread to have a chat to other students for this years' entry too.
If you have any questions, please let us know!
Kat :smile:
3rd year History Undergraduate

Thank you, can’t wait to start uni in Reading :smile:)
Reply 8
Original post by Andi.0k

What bad things you heard about Queen Mary? I’m thinking to apply for computer science and artificial intelligence course
Please advise!
Reply 9
Original post by Dalalm
What bad things you heard about Queen Mary? I’m thinking to apply for computer science and artificial intelligence course
Please advise!

I can't really remember but it was mainly from undergrads regarding student experience. Where did you end up choosing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending