The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Best accommodation options Uni of York?

Hi,

I am yet to firm or insure York as I’m still waiting to hear back from another uni but I just wanted to start thinking about accommodation options.

I’ve got an offer for joint History and English Literature (so in terms of location it would be great to know where people think is best)?

I’m also not sure whether to go for catered or self-catered accommodation. I’m not much of a cook but I’m quite a picky eater so I worry that I won’t like the catered food but then it would be so much stress to cook all the time. Has anyone got any advice on this?

Also, I’m looking into band 3 accommodation probably and an ensuite is quite important to me :smile:

So if anyone has any info regarding accommodation or any insight please let me know!
Hi, I have an offer for English and Philosophy and feel the same way about the ensuite and food. Since it's supposed to be pretty doable to cook if you make large amounts and freeze it (and it's a skill I'll need later anyway), I'm planning on cooking. I figure it will be a break for the eyes after reading so much :smile:. (By the way, I asked and storage in the kitchen isn't an issue.) Vanbrugh and Alcuin (supposedly the quiet college) both seem nice to me and they're close to my course, so I'll probably pick accommodation in one of those. I wasn't sure about walking back to the East campus at night if studying late, although the morning walk sounded nice. Have you looked at the common rooms? There are pictures and information on York's website.
University of York
York
Original post by penguingirl18
Hi, I have an offer for English and Philosophy and feel the same way about the ensuite and food. Since it's supposed to be pretty doable to cook if you make large amounts and freeze it (and it's a skill I'll need later anyway), I'm planning on cooking. I figure it will be a break for the eyes after reading so much :smile:. (By the way, I asked and storage in the kitchen isn't an issue.) Vanbrugh and Alcuin (supposedly the quiet college) both seem nice to me and they're close to my course, so I'll probably pick accommodation in one of those. I wasn't sure about walking back to the East campus at night if studying late, although the morning walk sounded nice. Have you looked at the common rooms? There are pictures and information on York's website.

Ooo that sounds like a fun course! I really like the philosophy part of my RS A-Level (and obviously like English haha) :smile: Oh that's true and I guess you can buy food from the uni cafes if you get really stuck? I will probably end up doing that too, and that's good that the storage in the kitchen isn't an issue (I am glad you asked actually!) I was thinking about Vanbrugh too maybe but I don't know much about Alcuin. Yes I mean I liked the East campus accommodation but it is fairly far off and I don't like getting up early haha. I haven't looked at the common rooms actually and I will make sure to have a look at that on the website! Thank you so much! :smile:
Original post by hamlethoratio
Ooo that sounds like a fun course! I really like the philosophy part of my RS A-Level (and obviously like English haha) :smile: Oh that's true and I guess you can buy food from the uni cafes if you get really stuck? I will probably end up doing that too, and that's good that the storage in the kitchen isn't an issue (I am glad you asked actually!) I was thinking about Vanbrugh too maybe but I don't know much about Alcuin. Yes I mean I liked the East campus accommodation but it is fairly far off and I don't like getting up early haha. I haven't looked at the common rooms actually and I will make sure to have a look at that on the website! Thank you so much! :smile:

:smile: I'm excited about it! They do have cafes (and a farmer's market for fruits/vegetables in York, according to the offer holder Instagram page). Also, I believe you can buy catered meals individually, and some colleges have one catered meal a week to help people socialize within their college. Alcuin is supposed to be the quiet one (a bonus for me), but I think Vanbrugh has a better common room, plus they have a drumset which sounds neat for some reason even though I've never played. :lol: I'm not an early riser either, so being close to my course's departments would be nice.
(edited 2 years ago)
Yay :smile: oh that’s good and I didn’t know about the farmer’s market so that’s handy! (I do follow that Instagram page actually but I didn’t see that post haha) that is quite good and haha fair enough! Oh a drumset does sound quite cool but I don’t play the drums either haha. Yes definitely! :smile:
Hi,

I am yet to firm or insure York as I’m still waiting to hear back from another uni but I just wanted to start thinking about accommodation options.

I’ve got an offer for joint History and English Literature (so in terms of location it would be great to know where people think is best)?

I’m also not sure whether to go for catered or self-catered accommodation. I’m not much of a cook but I’m quite a picky eater so I worry that I won’t like the catered food but then it would be so much stress to cook all the time. Has anyone got any advice on this?

Also, I’m looking into band 3 accommodation probably and an ensuite is quite important to me :smile:

So if anyone has any info regarding accommodation or any insight please let me know!

Hi!

Congrats on your offer! The Department of History is based at Vanbrugh College and the Department of English is based at Derwent College, so if you would like to live near your departments, a Campus West accommodation is probably best (Vanbrugh, Derwent, James or Alcuin). Halifax College is a short walk from Campus West as well.

I don't think you can get an ensuite room in Derwent. You can get a band 3 ensuite in Vanbrugh and James but they will be catered. There are band 3 ensuite self-catered rooms in Alcuin and Halifax, so maybe those options would suite you best? Halifax is a bit further away, but still accessible if you need to get to History and English.

I lived in Vanbrugh in my first year and did catered. It ended up being a really nice social routine where we'd all go together and eat, whereas when I was self-catered in second and third year, everyone kind of did their own thing. I found it great in my first few weeks at uni to make friends and have a routine of regularly hanging out with people. Having said that, I enjoyed the freedom of being able to eat what I wanted, when I wanted, when I was self-catered!

Breakfast was great, you can get all your usual toast, cereal, pasties, yoghurt, fruit etc and also have a full cooked breakfast too. There are normally 5/6 options for your main dinner. See here for an example of a week's options. They also do themed nights for things like Valentine's, Chinese New Year etc. I definitely had a much more varied diet in first year when I was catered, and enjoyed not having to wash up, but I don't think I would have done it for more than one year.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any questions!

Hazel :smile:
Original post by University of York
Hi!

Congrats on your offer! The Department of History is based at Vanbrugh College and the Department of English is based at Derwent College, so if you would like to live near your departments, a Campus West accommodation is probably best (Vanbrugh, Derwent, James or Alcuin). Halifax College is a short walk from Campus West as well.

I don't think you can get an ensuite room in Derwent. You can get a band 3 ensuite in Vanbrugh and James but they will be catered. There are band 3 ensuite self-catered rooms in Alcuin and Halifax, so maybe those options would suite you best? Halifax is a bit further away, but still accessible if you need to get to History and English.

I lived in Vanbrugh in my first year and did catered. It ended up being a really nice social routine where we'd all go together and eat, whereas when I was self-catered in second and third year, everyone kind of did their own thing. I found it great in my first few weeks at uni to make friends and have a routine of regularly hanging out with people. Having said that, I enjoyed the freedom of being able to eat what I wanted, when I wanted, when I was self-catered!

Breakfast was great, you can get all your usual toast, cereal, pasties, yoghurt, fruit etc and also have a full cooked breakfast too. There are normally 5/6 options for your main dinner. See here for an example of a week's options. They also do themed nights for things like Valentine's, Chinese New Year etc. I definitely had a much more varied diet in first year when I was catered, and enjoyed not having to wash up, but I don't think I would have done it for more than one year.

I hope this helps, and let me know if you have any questions!

Hazel :smile:

Hi,

Thank you so much for this, this is so helpful :smile: I will consider accommodation on Campus West then I think. Do you know if the new David Kato and Anne Lister colleges are located on Campus West or East? Oh Halifax and Alcuin might be good then for me, thank you :smile:

Ah that does sound nice I suppose but I don’t really eat a great breakfast if I’m honest and would rather just have cereal so I feel like it’s not worth it for me personally haha. Oh thank you for the menu! I did just look and tbh I don’t think I would like many of those options as I am such a picky eater haha so I might go self-catered, although I’ll definitely consider some of the catered ones on Campus West as being a lower down choice.
Hi,

Thank you so much for this, this is so helpful :smile: I will consider accommodation on Campus West then I think. Do you know if the new David Kato and Anne Lister colleges are located on Campus West or East? Oh Halifax and Alcuin might be good then for me, thank you :smile:

Ah that does sound nice I suppose but I don’t really eat a great breakfast if I’m honest and would rather just have cereal so I feel like it’s not worth it for me personally haha. Oh thank you for the menu! I did just look and tbh I don’t think I would like many of those options as I am such a picky eater haha so I might go self-catered, although I’ll definitely consider some of the catered ones on Campus West as being a lower down choice.

Hi,

No problem! David Kato and Anne Lister are on Campus East. Anne Lister opened in Sept 21 and David Kato is opening very soon, so they are both nice and shiny! That's totally fair, good plan :smile:

Hazel
When choosing accommodation do we have to put 3 shared bathroom choices down? Really only want en-suite. What’s the chance of getting an en-suite allocated? I was waiting until I had all my offers and now worry I’ve left it too late and they will all be gone!
Original post by Camrudge1
When choosing accommodation do we have to put 3 shared bathroom choices down? Really only want en-suite. What’s the chance of getting an en-suite allocated? I was waiting until I had all my offers and now worry I’ve left it too late and they will all be gone!

The maximum number of ensuite rooms you can select is four. We ask you to choose at least three shared options because we can't guarantee everyone an ensuite.

To maximise your chances of being allocated an ensuite:

rank the ensuite choices as your preferences

make York your firm choice

apply as soon as possible.

We can't guarantee you will get an ensuite, but most students do get one of their top three choices.

Chris

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending