The Student Room Group

Accom for Third Year worries

Hi, so I was wondering if anyone had any advice. I'm going into my second year and I have accom sorted for this year but it's third year im worried about.
Me and my partner discussed living together however now they seem slightly hesitant and may not want to be isolated from their flat. However, they still really want to but are thinking about it still.
My current housemates, I have 8 and 4 are dating (2 couples). One of the couples I know may move out together however the other hasn't really mentioned this.

The other 4 flatmates i'm not 100% close to so I am worried that we wont live together next year and may separate, so i'm feeling a bit ****ed.

I have some friends I may be able to live with but if they renew their tenancies I may not be able to live with them either.
Honestly this has beeb on my mind for weeks and i'm not sure how to approach the situation or just try to sort it out when I get back to uni, or try to sort it out before December.
Does anyone have any tips or advice? There is private accom but I live in York so it can be quite expensive, i.e. £190 a week.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, so I was wondering if anyone had any advice. I'm going into my second year and I have accom sorted for this year but it's third year im worried about.
Me and my partner discussed living together however now they seem slightly hesitant and may not want to be isolated from their flat. However, they still really want to but are thinking about it still.
My current housemates, I have 8 and 4 are dating (2 couples). One of the couples I know may move out together however the other hasn't really mentioned this.

The other 4 flatmates i'm not 100% close to so I am worried that we wont live together next year and may separate, so i'm feeling a bit ****ed.

I have some friends I may be able to live with but if they renew their tenancies I may not be able to live with them either.
Honestly this has beeb on my mind for weeks and i'm not sure how to approach the situation or just try to sort it out when I get back to uni, or try to sort it out before December.
Does anyone have any tips or advice? There is private accom but I live in York so it can be quite expensive, i.e. £190 a week.

Hi there,
It's good that you're considering your options. You do have time so the best thing is to continue having these conversations and decide what's right for you. See what's included in each accommodation option (inc private) so that you can judge what's the best value for money.

Also, I'd say don't panic if plans change later down the line. For my third year, I planned to live with a bunch of friends in a shared house. This ended up falling through and I found a private accommodation within my budget that I really enjoyed staying at.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Hi

Sorting accommodation out can be stressful, just remember that a lot of people will be feeling the same way. It's good that you're thinking about it so far in advance, but a lot can change in a year. I was much closer with a lot of my friends at the end of second year than at the end of first year, and moving into town really helped with this, so you might find that by December you'd be happy to live with people that you're not even considering living with at the moment.

Remember that there are plenty of options out there, so make sure that you don't rush into making a decision and that no-one feels pressured into signing a contract- in my experience this can make the house dynamic feel very tense later down the line! If you find that you haven't got anyone you'd feel comfortable living with around Christmas, many universities will have events that you can go to specifically to meet flatmates, I know a few people that this has worked very well for.

Hope this helps!

Nellie (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Hi Anon,

It's great that you're thinking about this so far in advance. Deciding on accommodation can be stressful and confusing, especially if you don't have anyone you feel particularly close to or that you feel you could live with.

I would take this time to research all of your options (e.g., living with your partner, living with the 4 other flatmates or other friends, or living alone in private accommodation). This is probably the best time to find out prices, tenancy lengths, which accommodations best suit your needs, and to have a chat with your current housemates and other friends to find out what they are thinking of doing. I would consider all your options, as you definitely have time to get to know your other flatmates better, and as the Lancaster Student Rep said, you might find that in December you would be happy to live with them!

If you feel private accommodation might be the best fit for you in the end, it might be a good idea to see if you can amend your budget if you feel it is expensive. The main thing is that you feel comfortable and safe in your accommodation!

I hope this helps!
Isabella
Reply 4

My daughter she was with her first year flatmates and lived with 7 of them in second year, but as covid restrictions eased, they all formed their own friendship groups. She got herself private halls in the city for third year.best move she made. Shes in halls for 4th year also. Can York accept you in their own halls?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending