The Student Room Group

Reserving Train Seats and Booking Hostels Interrail 2022

Me and a friend are going interrail this June. We've reserved Train tickets and booked hostels for the 1st half of our journey but we're not all to sure what to do for the second half. We were thinking of being a bit more spontaneous, deciding where to go a few days beforehand and booking accordingly, as opposed to planning the whole thing before even touching the mainland.
We're also tempted to forgo booking train reservations and just put the journey on our mobile pass the night before. Its June so its not quite the summer holidays yet, seat reservations may not be necessary and can be quite costly anyways (10€ a train mostly). But I was wondering if any of this thinking is too optimistic/not worth the risk. My friends dad went interrailing when he was younger and he talks up the freedom aspect of it a lot, he didn't plan his trip at all apparently. I fear that interrailing is now a lot more popular than it was in the 90s, and that trains/goodhostels may be booked up soon. But idk. If anyone has been interrailing I'd be rlly interested to hear thoughts on this, especially if u went around June-time.
Good luck.
btw we did end up planning out the entire route beforehand and just following that, but for what its worth most of the people we met also interrailing didnt plan out things as much and would decide on some stuff a few days in advance. although some destinations require reservations and accomodation is more pricey the sooner your booking

Quick Reply

Latest