The Student Room Group

Interrailing

Hey guys,

I’m planning to go interrailing and I’d love to know more details on the train passes and stuff. If I buy the interrailing pass would that give me the space to sit on trains (and some doesn’t have seats or if seats need to be reserved, so I have to buy the tickets? If so, would there be discounts for the tickets?) or it would be better to just buy individual train tickets with reserved seat each time? Please help!
Thank you!
Reply 1
All your questions are excellent but there's no easy answer! Trains, booking, ease of getting a seat etc vary from country to country. What kind of pass (for example, just one country) depend on where you want to go, how long for and how adventurous you are. For some high speed trains, you often have to book and you might need to pay a supplement depending on your pass, but slow trains (which can travel through amazing scenery - and you get to meet the locals) will be 'free'. In some ways, interrailing is probably not as flexible as when I went (years back!) but you can still end up in unexpected places without trying too hard. if you haven't seen it already, visit the Man in Seat Sixty One site. Also, the European Rail Timetable site (full timetables are extremely helpful!).

Quick Reply

Latest