The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

...and the league tables count too! Before people shout me down though - I agree with what others have said on here, the course (and what the place itself is like) is very significant - but then again other factors like the quality of teaching you will be receiving and reputation of the university should also be taken into account. Ultimately though, you should go where you will be happiest.
Reply 41
aleathiel
im going to de montfort to do my foundation year in art and design in sept 2006 and so far i havent had any negative comments about that uni, ive been told its a brilliant uni by:
1) my photography lecturer
2) my fine art lecturer
and 3) my maths lecturer
also random people that have said its good & ive been and had a look around and all i can say is they're right...
It all depends on what course someone's doing and what their individual needs are as to whether they think a uni is good.

The uni is not that bad. There are some subjects that are particularly good according to the article I read and on the educationUK website. For instance, they are good in art and computing courses. In addition, they are good in vocational stuff in courses too.

Here is a paragraph from the educationUK website about the uni:

DMU is ranked 13th out of 90 UK universities offering computing programmes for employability (Signposts to Employability 2001). The University was rated 24 out of 24 by the Quality Assurance Agency for the teaching of Public Policy and Politics (2001). Its MBA programme is accredited by AMBA, and DMU is one of only 10 Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development centres of excellence in the UK. The University offers the only degree course in contour fashion in the world and one of only two degree courses in footwear design in the UK.
Reply 42
i rejected demontford time ago...

For my course it would be stupid for me to choose demontford over my other unis.

Area
course structure
people i would meet
locatiion
fact i have no accommodation
no uni => study in a college

Maybe good for art.. not audiology
I don't think the universit is bad at all. Mind you, it depends what course you are going to study there.
Reply 44
trev
The student union can improve some day if they do something about it.

:biggrin:

Trev your posts really are comedy GOLD.
Good choice NAS. If I had seen this post earlier, I would have advised you to stay well away from it. My sister does medicine in the proper Leicster University, and everyone, including the lecturers, look down on them. Its got a really really bad reputation here in Nottingham. Its almost the "trent valley" of the midlands.

The people that attend Demontford university are, generally speaking, dossers. They will have scraped through their Alevels or more likely AVCEs, so its not a good environment to be studying in with a serious course.
I would recommend everyone to avoid it at all costs, unless your studying something stupid like media.
Reply 46
[QUOTE="SinghFello"]Good choice NAS. If I had seen this post earlier, I would have advised you to stay well away from it. My sister does medicine in the proper Leicster University, and everyone, including the lecturers, look down on them. Its got a really really bad reputation here in Nottingham. Its almost the "trent valley" of the midlands.

The people that attend Demontford university are, generally speaking, dossers. They will have scraped through their Alevels or more likely AVCEs, so its not a good environment to be studying in with a serious course.
I would recommend everyone to avoid it at all costs, unless your studying something stupid like media.[/QUOTE

I am going to disagree with you there! Yes I know it isn't like the unis of Leicester/loughborough/notts but the uni is highly regarded for the art and design courses, all of which require alot of hard work and time!!!!!! Ok so its not in the top ten of unis but as I said for art and design I have seen many ppls work at my local college in leicester who applied for degrees there and after seeing the work, you would know that they are not 'dossers' who scrapped in. I suggest you carefully think about what you say before making such general and might I add 'up your arse' comments. I don't know how good it is for other subjects, I haven't looked and if I didn't live in leicester, I would have given it serious consideration for the A & D courses regardless of its rankings!
Reply 47
SinghFello
Good choice NAS. If I had seen this post earlier, I would have advised you to stay well away from it. My sister does medicine in the proper Leicster University, and everyone, including the lecturers, look down on them. Its got a really really bad reputation here in Nottingham. Its almost the "trent valley" of the midlands.

I would recommend everyone to avoid it at all costs, unless your studying something stupid like media.

I actually have to disagree with that, although when i went to the university to have a look i actually saw quite a few dossers.

There are actually quite a few who have worked hard to get into the university and after all it's not that bad for some courses.

My cousin goes there and i wouldn't say she scraped through her Alevels, she attained 3 B's in Maths, Chemistry & Physics and had to go DMU through clearing because she missed out on her Medicine offers of AAB. So i wouldn't say it's full of dossers.
Reply 48
SinghFello

Glitters friend got 11 A*'s and 5 A's and they went De Montford.
What do you have against Media? :smile:
Reply 49
i think you are being a bit hard on singhfello. Straight talking is what is required sometimes. As i stated in the thread that i will be applying for audiology not art! If i was a person who gets influenced extremly easy i may of even accepted demontford's offer because alot of people become defensive towards demontford.

I just realised my friends cousin goes to demontford and she hates it there, and also backed up singh's point of the university having alot of people in there who don't really care. That's not true for everyone, as im sure there are alot of serious students there. But there are certainly alot of people who dont care about their education who go there too, and for audiology...it's definatly the worse uni to do this course in every aspect.

As for art..i don't know much about this, but there are many universities with better course reputations for art but as i don't know much about it, i know the entry requirements are pretty low for this, so it's worth sitll having as a choice.

I'm not disrespecting the demontford applications but some other points of view need to be said just incase someone makes a mistake that they may really regret in the future. that's why i wrote this... not because i want to disrespect any demontford applicants.
Reply 50
I do agree with some of the comments being made but as for slackers, you get them in every uni whether it be De Montford or Leeds or Durham. I said the last two because I know of quite a few ppl from both unis who have seriously slacked off simply because of the fact they got into uni and they were straight A students at A levels. At the end of the day as with any uni, it is what you make of it and whether the course is right for you. Yes the entry grades are not AAA for art, but then not many art courses require three A's. Leeds only require BBC for their art courses and I'm applying for a course at Newcastle which requires CCC. With art, the portfolio is more important. I know for your course nas that you have a UCL offer which is fantastic and understandly would pick over De Montford. I wasn't trying to be a bitch or anything, just saying that opinions formed off other ppl don't help anyone and some of the snobbish comments on these forums will make some students on here feel worried simply because they are not straight A students and have chosen unis that are not so highly regarded!
* ok rant over!!!*

Oh I know I'm focusing on art -its only because it is highly regarded by many although its not a brilliant uni!
Reply 51
i see where you are coming from. Last year my uni choice was pretty rubbish and it was depressing

applied to:
city
glasgow caledonian
kingston

i experienced alot of snobbish comments too, which wasn't very nice. Hope i didn't seem snobbish in anyway :smile:
Reply 52
At the higher education day Demontford had the best free pens. I took two.
Reply 53
Why did you only take two? You should of took the whole box and sold em :wink:
Reply 54
chats
Glitters friend got 11 A*'s and 5 A's and they went De Montford.

I don't mean to seem harsh but that example seems very far fetched and unlikely. Unless he/she had valid reasons such as wanting to stay near home I can't see why they would, for want of a better word, 'waste' such good grades when the opportunity to go to a university likely to surpassed de montford on all qualities was easily open to them.

Good choice with UCL btw, my friend is doing audiology there and really enjoys it :smile:
Demont-what? :p:
Reply 56
rah2
I don't mean to seem harsh but that example seems very far fetched and unlikely. Unless he/she had valid reasons such as wanting to stay near home I can't see why they would, for want of a better word, 'waste' such good grades when the opportunity to go to a university likely to surpassed de montford on all qualities was easily open to them.

Good choice with UCL btw, my friend is doing audiology there and really enjoys it :smile:

cool, is there anyway i can ask her/him any questions about the course?

I'm just wondering if the work load is high or not as the timetable looks pretty much hectic. 9-5 everyday except a 2 hour indepedent study period.
Reply 57
nas7232
cool, is there anyway i can ask her/him any questions about the course?

I'm just wondering if the work load is high or not as the timetable looks pretty much hectic. 9-5 everyday except a 2 hour indepedent study period.

haven't talked to her for ages so perhaps the 'loving' it claim is redundant, however from what i gathered the workload isnt as harsh as it sounds, quite often had daays off etc

will see if can talk to her online later and see what she says
Reply 58
nice 1 :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending