The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

OU psychology and counselling

Hi everyone!
Me and my friend are interested in studying psychology and counselling with a goal to become therapists. None of us have previous experience in university or college that’s why we want to choose OU because it usually doesn’t have requirements for courses.

Me and my friend are specifically interested in studying psychology related to depression, anxiety, traumas and well being with a goal to become therapists in these subjects. We are at crossroads as to which courses & career paths would suit us best - we found courses: BSc Hons Psychology and Counselling & Foundation degree in counselling - but we don’t know which one to choose and which one would guarantee career start in counselling.
We’d appreciate advice as to which course would be best suited for us. Any career advice will be also much appreciated!
Cheers!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
I looked at these before I studied at the OU! Although I decided to take the main psychology pathway only as this means you have choices for future modules. I considered counselling however was aware of extra hoops you have to go through such as I believe going to an accredited college or something to be able to go onto have a profession in counselling. I decided instead to push to be a clinical psychologist! I'm not sure if that helps at all
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Caroleen.xq
Hi everyone!
Me and my friend are interested in studying psychology and counselling with a goal to become therapists. None of us have previous experience in university or college that’s why we want to choose OU because it usually doesn’t have requirements for courses.

Me and my friend are specifically interested in studying psychology related to depression, anxiety, traumas and well being with a goal to become therapists in these subjects. We are at crossroads as to which courses & career paths would suit us best - we found courses: BSc Hons Psychology and Counselling & Foundation degree in counselling - but we don’t know which one to choose and which one would guarantee career start in counselling.
We’d appreciate advice as to which course would be best suited for us. Any career advice will be also much appreciated!
Cheers!

The OU degree in Psychology with Counselling does not offer anything in terms of career progression towards becoming a psychotherapist. It is an academic qualification, not professional training, which you will need if you wish to train as a counsellor. However, this degree is accredited by the BPS, meaning you can use it if you decide to go into a career in Psychology (e.g. counselling psychologist).

I did this degree with the OU, then trained as a counsellor afterwards by completing a level 3 certificate in counselling skills, then a level 4 diploma in therapeutic counselling, which included a 100-hour placement. I'm currently working as an Assistant Psychologist while finishing my counselling placement. I chose this route as it opened doors for both psychology and psychotherapy.

Be aware that counselling as a career is not that well paid and employment opportunities are scarce.
I haven't studied seen i was in college around a decade ago now. Last year i was in the same predicament as you wanting to study psychology to become a counselling or therapist. I am now in my second year at the open university studying Bachelors honors in psychology. my first year was all round knowledge on psychology however in your second and third year you can change the course of your studies so for example in my second year to come i will be focusing on mental health and counselling practices which is where i wish to aim for. i also want to add that the tutors that were assigned to me are extremely helpful and have helped strengthen the course and future i want. I hope this information enlightens you both and please aim high because you really CAN achieve great things !!

Quick Reply

Latest